My new vertical antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE8CCD, Jul 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job with the bamboo!

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all well and good but please be careful when you toss your loyal, hard-working electrons about. Most of them seldom put on their helmets unless given adequate notice and many injuries often occur at such times; this accounts for skewed paths, field-aligned irregularities and a few other misconstrued propagation anomalies.

Great job on your bamboo ground plane, though!

73, Jeff

Chief Administrator, S.P.C.E.
    Maxwell-Kerchoff Electron Rehabilitation Ward

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, antennas do not throw electrons into the ether. The energized free electrons in the antenna conductors throw photons into the ether. RF waves travel at the speed of light in the medium. Electrons cannot do that. In fact, at RF, electrons move hardly at all and can be considered to simply vibrate in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

4. NH7RO

Shucks, Cecil; you just ruined the day for my crew of 1,837 trillion electrons here; all along I've been giving them daily pep talks and trying hard to build up their self-esteem (and once I got carried away by promising them they would traveling to many exotic locations far, far away...).

I was trying to keep their sibling photon's shenanigans a secret and I was managing to do so thus far. I was afraid someone would spill the beans as you have just done! I will assume that your disclosure was done in good nature and more or less unwittingly.

73 anyway (although it is highly doubtful they'll want to cooperate when I want to work DX from now on---betcha they'll sit perfectly still when I try to key up)

Jeff

Former happy electron herder

5. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, electrons traveling at (or faster than) the speed of light is one of my pet peeves.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a sweet looking vertical. Awesome build, and thanks for posting the images!

7. KG7QJB

KG7QJB Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not supposed to put it 3 feet off of the ground , Mine is 6 inches off of the ground mounted to a chain link post cut with a hack saw at a long angle so it would go into the ground with a sledge. About 3 feet into the ground and the antenna bolted to it with u bolts. 8 radials tuned up nicely when set up as the instructions said.

8. NH7RO

Huh? You've never heard of elevated verticals and their inherent benefit of less ground loss (not to mention a clearer path to the horizon over ground clutter)?

VK4FUQ likes this.
  9. N8CMQ

N8CMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If/when I get to it, I may do a writeup of my vertical experience.
    The one thing I have found is, the 'When the impedance stops changing, you have enough radials', is wrong.
    The other thing is, '120 radials is the most you need', is also wrong. But so many people want the easy/cheap
    way of doing things today, they are willing to accept the gospel of others without question and to spread the
    word of incorrect knowledge. If I could afford it, I would have a solid copper sheet under my vertical!
    But I will continue with my system as it is with over 144 30+ foot radials.

N8CMQ Jeff

10. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought I had a decent amount of radials until I added a 4 more... 4 more made a significant difference on the bands for which they were cut (80/20) - I then added two more cut for 40m and was happy to see increased performance (measure by resonance) on that band. So something that I learned is that lenght DOES matter :) -- at least in a setup where radials are <60