my new HW8 won't transmit

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI4NZU, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

I left the rig with the club in charlotte. I wasnt there long, only till 8pm on saturday. Then went to a different site to work K4KQ. I made 50 CW contacts and 1 SSB contact. here are the pics from K4KQ:

http://www.k4kq.com/FieldDay2006/

2. WZ4I

WZ4I QRZ Member

I hope you had a great time. We did. Thanks for helping make our FD event a success.

Mark WZ4I

3. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

Yes, I had lots of fun. Ok, i admit it, K4KQ FD was better, not that i have to shut out W4CQ, I had a great time there. i also love the pics that were taken there. but gotta say one thing. did you have to take pics of me operating sideband? out of all those CW ones, you had to get me working a phone mode, for that ONE contact. :blush:

4. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

Hi guys,
    i hope i will be up to explaining my current situation, but i NEED to cry out an emergency SOS to the ham world right now.

SOS SOS de KI4NZU:  MY DAD IS ACTING LIKE HE WANTS ME TO QUIT MY HOBBY!!!!!!
    He thinks everything going wrong with my equipment is MY fault and my remaining equipment is falling apart! He think he has the last say in everything I do, and even if he's wrong in reality, he forces me to believe hes right, even if I try to argue it because it is the truth, he screams at me and will not take crap from anybody.
    Like, with the heathkits that i have (or had), both were working perfectly before my brother started messing with them behind my back. Now he believes he was nowhere near them, and screams at me whenever I bring it up. Then theres the 10m ssb rig that Mark, WZ4I gave me. The power supply I had from before, I used it with it. But it wasnt until last nite that I transmitted on it, an found that the old, (yes, old) CB 13v dc power supply my uncle (a CBer) gave me ruined the rig completely. The audio output is completely distorted at both ends! It wasnt until after the fact I transmitted on it, I found a problem. I told my dad, and he said not to touch it anymore until he gets a chance to look at it, and have not touched it since he said that, but here's where he lies and refuses to hear anything against it. He screams I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH IT! Bull, I have not touched it since he said that after I told him what was wrong.
    Sorry this may sound confusing. He may not ever let me buy a single piece of equipment and probably will force me out of the hobby. He just plain wont let me have any friends. He just dosent understand us hams that we can make differences in the world and that we REALLY are nice people. He thinks everyone on the internet that tries to sell or give away equipment to a needy ham is trying to scam me, He just plain out dosent trust a soul. Not even a ham who is just doing their part to help another ham. Am I making any sense here?

Now I am stuch with NOTHING, and because he thinks EVERYTHING is my fault I may never see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    HELP PLEASE!!!!! I want to die here!  My dad is actually making me feel ashamed to be a ham. I feel like I failed as a ham. He sees it only as a money gamble! Please Help.I am in so much distress!!!!!!!!

Sorry this is sooo long, but just wanted to pour out my cries to somebody. If I keep this bottled in, I just may hurt somebody....or myself!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please hurry.IM SCARED!!!!![​IMG]

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Life is a money gamble. And a learning experience.

One word of advice:

MOVE.

Then you (and you alone) control your own destiny...make your own rules...etc.

Your friends are here to help - wherever that journey called life happens to take you. If you need to put the hobby on hold while you get your affairs in order, so be it. We'll wait.

Trust me - if I gave a second thought to the things I've blown up (and the money spent to fix them) while involved in amateur radio I would have bailed out long ago.

Education sometimes carries a price tag. Whether that happens to be money to fix a blown final amplifier or for a tube of Neosporin to help heal the burn you got from picking up a hot soldering iron by the tip, you'll spend. And hopefully learn in the process.

6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, first of all, one has to realize what ham radio really is. There is a lot of discussion and disagreement about whether it is a hobby or a service, but for probably 90 percent of us it is a hobby - we do it because we like it and enjoy it. It is not a career. It is not a college degree. It is not a passage through the gates of professionalism.

So the first thing you need to do is realize this is a hobby. As such, it has to take second or third or twentieth place behind family responsibilities. We have all had to do that, to make decisions, and frequently they hurt.

The fact is, as long as you live in your parents' house, you have to put up with their rules, or if you prefer, their oppression! That is what parents do, and yeah, it is very often they do not understand what young adults do.

I doubt you have the financial wherewithal to move out. And even if you did, you would likely have to live in a non-ham friendly atmosphere, such as in a roomate situation in a boarding house.

Your story has become an epic. With the help you got, you should have been on the air and happy, months ago. In fact, I think you were on the air, weren't you? You have a new antenna, a ten meter rig, and two HW8s. Something isn't going right, Kristen, and before you start seeking more routes to getting on the air, you need to fix what isn't right. I don't think anyone here can tell you how to do that. You need to take a better look at your life, your family life, and see what is really going on.

Hindsight is great! You can see now, how you should have unplugged the HW8, hidden the power cable when you weren't around, so no one could mess with it. You will learn from that, and the next radio you have on the air you will have better control over it. In fact, your license requires you to have control over it.

Let the radio sit a week. Take a look at your life. Where is your Mother in all this? What are you doing in your life besides ham radio? Do you have a job? Do you have a car? Do you date? Do you have NON-ham friends? Do you read, go to movies, plow the fields, water the horse, talk on the phone, play monopoly, do MP3s or iPods or whatever those things are? What do you do in your life, Kristen? I'm not asking you to post answers here, or to email anyone, not me not anyone, with the thoughts. Just that you seek some introspective. There appear to be things wrong in your home, and they are NOT our business on this ham radio forum! We do not and should not ask you to share them here!! But you need to look at them yourself, and from a non-ham radio perspective. Figure out what is bugging your Father. Get a better relationship with him, and with your Mother, and your brother. Put family first, Kristen.

Ham radio is not the problem. Find out what the problem really is.

Good luck, and my thoughts are with you.

Ed

7. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed W5HTW has said it SO well; read what he has said very closely and think about it.

Kristen, we have followed this saga because you are one of us; an amateur.

We are all with you.

This forum has a Youth section; check in there and talk to them.

We were all young 20/30/40/50 years ago; although older people often won't admit it, it was tough to be young then and it's still tough today.

Good luck, mate; but you have to make your own luck.

8. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Ed's right. You need to think your LIFE through, see where you are, where you want to be and what you'll have to do to get there. Ham radio is only a small part.

We're on your side, but it's YOUR life.

9. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

All good advice. For some of us, our XYL's are the "non-understanding" ones. One way to "solve" this problem is lay low for a while, don't do Ham radio and don't talk Ham radio for a while. If you ACT like you can take-it or leave-it (even if all you want is the "take-it"), then it will not cause such a commotion when you decide to "play on your radio again".

When I got on the air again, after decades off, I was up till 1 am every night chasing DX. My XYL was getting more and more pissed off, and finally blew up, but I never knew, till then, that she resented it. I decided to have more perspective, lay low, and operate more like a normal person. It all worked out.

It's his house, you know him better than we do. As long as your ticket does not expire, you have your whole life to be a Ham. Ham radio will not go away in a year or two, just take it easy, this is supposed to be fun.

paul

10. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, don’t kill your dad or yourself or even your brother no matter how much you may think they might need it right now. You will regret it later.

Like many have said let it go for a while. I know you worked real hard to become proficient in CW {something I have never managed to do}

People have come to your aid with antenna and a rig. My guess is that if you put the 10M rig on a bigger power supply it will most likely get better. Maybe not but it might.

Go ahead and read QRZ and even post sometimes but keep the low profile. Propagation should pick up in the next few years and things will be even better than now.

Maybe get some project books if you can and read about building a power supply then if you can gather the things needed to build one go ahead and build one. I have built several over the years. I’m pretty sure one of my very first projects was a 12V supply. As I remember it was pretty light like 2 Amps but it worked for what I had at the time.

My daughter just turned 20 and wants to move out on her own in the worst way. She does have a job but it doesn’t pay well enough for her to have all the things she would need if she were out on her own, so she stays with us.

There are few rules here for her to follow. Nothing real drastic, draconian, or monarchal just simple things like cleaning up after herself doing her own laundry, cooking sometimes, things like that.

Fortunately she doesn’t seem to have any boyfriends that are what I would call serious. Unfortunately she also doesn’t seem to have much interest in ham radio either. A few years ago she did try studying for the tech but every time the test session was coming up she would get cold feet and not go.

Sometimes I wish my folks were still around. Dad died when I was 17, mom made it till I was 33. I miss them both a lot think of them everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.