my new HW8 won't transmit

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI4NZU, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

what was the KI4 call? I was listening around the frequencies on 10 since 3pm and worked a net station in Arkansas on 28.464. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was KI4LXR ... I heard many others this evening - had to go out weather spotting though, so I probably missed a lot.

3. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

hey, anyone happen to know when the next W1AW qualifying run for 40m is on cw? [​IMG]

4. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding 10 meter propagation: There are many beacons set up to indicate 10 meter propagation. They transmit cw from about 28.180 to 28.290, but most are in the 28.220 to 28.270 range. If you hear cw beacons then you know the band is open. If you can copy the cw, you can catch the call signs and determine where they are and that tells you what direction the opening is. I made my very first out-of-country contact this way. I heard a lot of 10 meter beacons one day, heard one with a Costa Rica call sign, started calling CQ and got a station in Bogata Columbia to come back. Then got about four more South American countries that day.

5. W3GER

W3GER Ham Member QRZ Page

7:00 PM EDT Wed June 21
    10:00 PM EDT Wed July 5
    9:00 AM EDT Friday July 21

It's on all bands at once.
    The 40M freq is 7.0475

73 de W3GERry

6. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

ok, tnx fer that Gerry! [​IMG]

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Bumping this thread back to the top:

A) Did you ever get your HW-8 fixed (or the problem analyzed) after your little brother got hold of it;

B) If so, are you gonna cart the rig to your local FD site and try to make a few contacts?

8. KI4NZU

KI4NZU Guest

no to the A question. My dad thinks my bro totally killed it and cant be fixed, but no one else has seen it yet, so.......

B) I am going to the club FD today to get it checked out.

Speaking of which, if you guys are on 40m today, listen for "CQ FD de W4CQ QRZ"

9. WV1C

WV1C Ham Member QRZ Page

And how about the code qualifying run? I decided to try it Wednesday night, and I couldn't believe how bad I was. I feel like I copy much faster in real life, and when I set my keyer to what I am copying and then query the speed, it seems to be much faster than I managed on the qualifying run, but maybe that's because some of the real QSO's are so predictable, at least at my speeds.

Well, I'm going to try pushing myself faster, and then try again July 5.

As for FD here in Connecticut, I was about to post that at least the rain and lightning have stopped, but just thinking that seemed to get it going again. In fact, b'lieve I will log off the computer now ...

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless he physically chopped the case in half, it CAN be fixed...even the switches. Which I've got.

You folks are welcome to get in touch with me if you need parts, help, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.