My new acquisition

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SV2HZF, Dec 3, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You just answered your own question :)

I've used iambic paddles for 40 years as if they were a single lever. I just like how it feels over a single lever. Tried iambic keying but never understood why folks like it - I never did.

I have many keys and paddles - but only one "single lever" (an HST I bought from Da Cow K0OW that has his call engraved on it!) - I still use it from time to time. But most of the time I'm on a vibroplex iambic or Bencher BY-2, being used as if it were a single lever.

So there ya go - I too don't like single lever so I use my iambic paddles instead - just without the "iambic" part :)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have to be standing beside you with you demonstrating what you’re saying. I guess I’m just plain thick. But thanks for trying to get thru.

Maybe just maybe I don’t even know what I am doing, I just send;)

Never really thought about it until now, but maybe I am alternating between both modes and didn’t even know it.

I can send left right or any mode plus a bug left or right. Can do it, cannot explain it.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Are you actually sending using iambic A or iambic B?

I too "just send" - I use an iambic paddle but do not send using an iambic mode. I send as if it were a single paddle.

Which iambic mode do you send with? iambic A or iambic B - and why do you prefer the iambic mode you're using?

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll make a stab at it. With a single paddle you have to wait for it to spring back to 'center' when switching from dits to dahs. With separate paddles the other direction can be initiated before the first one ends. Or something like that. We're talking microseconds - haha.

5. W7UUU

Great point! Yes - it's super fast but there's a "feel to it" that to me (and apparently you as well) that's better with an iambic paddle that I don't get with my HST single lever.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ATHAN.

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW KEY.
    congratulations_fireworks_1_[1].gif

SV2HZF likes this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

B mode

But as I said, I can send anyway and pretty well, just like B the most.

8. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Like most folks I use a twin paddle, but do not use (consciously at any rate) iambic action. The reason I'm not keen on single lever paddles is that I like a light touch and narrow gap. Getting a single-lever paddle to 'centre' exactly every time you let it go has never been a feature of the few I tried. If you like wider gaps and heavier tensions then you probably won't notice any slight errors in return-to-centre.

Incidentally, back in the mid 70's when I first built an el-key (using SN7400 TTL logic) I built my twin paddle by using a pair of '8 amp' straight keys (available for $1 back then) mounted on their sides, back-to-back. I replaced the knobs with flat plates, and voila! Cheap paddle :)

9. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a heads-up....realised that Markus has rearranged his website.
    The english website for the paddles is at www.bamatech.net . I need to edit my PDF to reflect that.
    The keys & paddles are a personal 'side project' for Markus (DL6YYM), who owns a precision engineering company.
    I have no connection with the company, other than being a happy customer.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  10. K0VP

K0VP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have really enjoyed reading these comments. And I believe my suspicion was correct - most users of double paddle keys are not using lambic mode. For the past couple weeks I have been using a Schurr double paddle. It took a while but I am now sending less error free. And I do think I am beginning to like the feel better. I work in the 20 - 25 WPM range so either type of key will work for me. I do read however, that the high speed crowd use single paddle keys.
    On another note, I’m just catching up that Kent is now made in Germany. Google tells me Kent subcontracted the manufacturing to Germany in 2006. Wonder why ?. Is shop labor cheaper in Germany than England ?.