My new acquisition

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SV2HZF, Dec 3, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0VP

K0VP Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kent single paddle key has always worked well. Except for the finger piece which broke off early on. The finger pieces on the double paddle key are supported better by the lever arms. I am curious if you use the lambic mode. I suspect most double paddle owners use them as a single lever.

2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would you use dual in single mode? Personally, I don’t like single lever.

Kent are good paddles, if you want real close adjustment, they can be a pain, and they have some flex on those plastic finger pieces.

I have owned a tons of paddles, I am down to one, the Jones Key.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never learned iambic but I still prefer dual paddles. There's just something you can't do with a single lever.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. K3EY

I don’t understand that but accept it. Personally I can send any mode, left, right, single, dual, bug. My preference is lefty iambic dual paddle.

5. SV2HZF

SV2HZF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was worried that after the Begali Signature I am used to, the distance between Kent's paddles would be uncomfortable, but fortunately I got used to it very quickly.

As for finger pieces, in new batches Kent seem to use harder and somewhat thicker plastics with minimal flex.

Not always but i find iambic useful in some letters and punctuation or prosigns.

6. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is my favorite paddle... :p

[​IMG]

WA7PRC, K3EY, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  7. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I found that I was forever adjusting them on my Kent paddle as the springs 'creep'. If you like narrow gaps & light touch then a magnetic would probably suit you better. I went from a Kent paddle to a BamaTech Magnetic & have not looked back. I've had it for 2 years now and never needed to adjust anything, or even clean the contacts.

Markus also makes a straight key with a magnet instead of a spring and I keep meaning to get one to try but that is on the increasingly lengthening list of things I'll get around to one day.

8. K3EY

TNX FOR INFO-- Interesting and my next paddle.

G3ZPF likes this.
  9. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sweet key! Use it in good health.

SV2HZF likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too many years with a bug, I guess. I can use a dual lever paddle. I might even be able to send out a CQ iambic style. But I much prefer a single lever. ;)