My Kenwood R5000, my PC, and a problem.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by IZ8JFD, Jan 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. IZ8JFD

IZ8JFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I have a Kenwood R5000 that I want to control from my PC, and I did buy the IC10 chips that must be installed inside the rig. I didn't buy the original Kenwood IC10 kit, I got the parts from different local resellers. They are:

- a P8251A chip from Intel;

- a HCF4040BE from ST,

and I placed them on the Control Unit of the radio.

I connected my Kenwood R5000 to my PC using a homebrew TTL/RS232 converter: it is just a clone of the original IF232C interface, the ONLY DIFFERENCE between Kenwood's and my circuit is that I included an internal power supply for the 3 voltages needed by the converter (-12, 5, 12 Vdc).

I wanted to use Ham Radio Deluxe to communicate to the radio and back. But the software can't read the actual frequency of the R5000 and can't talk to it any further.

My setup is not working.

There can be a lot of causes for my problem. I sum up the situation to you describing the ultimate experiment I did to find where the problem is.

I opened the R5000, took IC54 (the P8251 chip) off its socket, and shorted pin 3 (RXD) and pin 19 (TXD). Connected the radio to the PC in THE SAME WAY I did before (with the same TTL/RS232 converter and the same cabling) and used Hyper Terminal (on Win 10) instead of HRD.

I configured the COM port as requested (4800, 1 start bit, 8 bits, 2 stop bits, no parity) and started a connection to the R5000: for every character that I typed on my keyboard, I had the same character echoed back on my screen. I know that local echo, in Hyper Terminal, is an option, but I CONFIRM that - during my experiment - the option was NOT selected. Then, I took away the short between the pins of IC54 inside the radio, started typing again on Hyper Terminal, but had NO local echo.

If I'm not wrong, this means that there's a link all the way from my PC up to the Control Unit inside the radio, but here there's no one that understands/listens to my messages.

Could it be the fact that I didn't use an original Kenwood IC10 kit? If not, what could?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Valerio IZ8JFD

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

if it were me, I'd ditch the aftermarket chips, and the shorting this or that.... and get the right chips and cables from Jahnke Electronics. I had very similar problems with my TS-440s, which uses the same CAT control and I wrestled with them for a week. Then I got the right parts, and Viola! they worked perfectly right out of the box. And: HRD set-up took like 28 seconds.

3. IZ8JFD

IZ8JFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.

I've been wrestling with my R5000 CAT feature for 25 years, every now and then, but I found something that may be interesting. Take a look at the Service Bulletin attached to this message.

My R5000 has a serial number like 010xxxx, well below the 804xxxx indicated in the SB. I have already contacted the Italian parts supplier to ask about IC52 replacement.

73s,

Valerio IZ8JFD

Attached Files:

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

call Paul Jahnke. If anybody knows how to resolve the problem, he does. 920-819-6756