My five minute 40m ground plane antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4BZ, Jun 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK4BZ

VK4BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, folks.

Attached is my latest video on a very handy portable 40m ground plane antenna that I put on the bullbar of my truck. Have look and let me know what you think of the idea.

Cheers

John: VK4BZ

KE0MWN, KC8VWM, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  2. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done John.
    Short and to the point video.
    Simple and well implemented design.
    Bravo Zulu OM

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

good video. thanks for not using a long intro with time-wasting animations or descriptions.

4. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto...direct and to the point. Good job. I hate the videos where the guy is just enamored with the sound of his voice and takes forever to get to the good stuff, if he ever does. Many times I don't know if he gets to the good stuff because I have already clicked off. There is a guy that posts here regularly that uses a lot of silly, non relevant, images in his videos...I'll pass.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John.

That's a great video and I bet that antenna setup is high performance.

I have an idea that might help make it into a 2 minute 40m vertical and you can leave the mallet and tent stake at home.

I devised a simple arrangement that you could adapt for your own squid pole antenna and it doesn't need to be constructed out of metal but for such a lightweight antenna it could also be constructed using some pieces of wood / boards which I am sure will do.

In my case, I started out the entire project with a piece of Unistrut which is used to hang and support EMT tubing. It's very strong and can support much heavier portable antennas too.

[​IMG]

Then I picked up a piece of plate aluminum and attached the unistrut using nuts, bolts and some cut up strips of aluminum angle iron, like this:

[​IMG]

I attached two EMT tubing collars to the Unistrut using stainless hose clamps. One is located at the bottom and second one located near the top of the Unistrut. These EMT collars are normally used to join sections of EMT together but our antenna poles simply slide right in!

[​IMG]

This photo shows the two EMT collars, pole and aluminum plate. The two knobs to tighten the pole are salvaged from old broken work lights. They are normally used to adjust the tilt angle of the work lights. Works well for tightening up antenna poles too. :)
    [​IMG]
    So basically you just pull out this simple and lightweight crazy contraption from the trunk of your car and you simply drive your front tire on it. Throw the squid pole or other antenna pole in the EMT collars and tighten the hand clamps Takes 30 seconds and no tent stakes or other method of antenna support is needed and works whether you're parking on soil at the campsite or on asphalt too.

[​IMG]

Now like I said earlier, for holding up a 40m vertical squid pole, a similar arrangement could be constructed from any old scraps of wood instead. Probably can throw one together in 20 minutes.

I think one of these would significantly reduce setup time and be a great addition to your great 40m squid pole antenna!

Good luck John and have fun. Hope to work you on the bands soon. - 73 de Charles KC8VWM.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    K7WFM and KU4X like this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

exactly. i've tried to listen to amateur radio podcasts but can't get past the intros and "entertaining" banter

WB1E and KY5U like this.
  7. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

BZ mate.

8. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i love simple stuff, even if there is a bit less efficiency.
    the fast forward was great!

9. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder how that squid pole compares to a 9m Jackite pole? I one have that is mounted to a speaker stand tripod. It's sort of an Eagle One knock off. It's definitely not as as easy to set up as the one in the video. I also have a 7m crappie pole. I'm having an aluminum mount welded that slides into the front or rear tow hitch receivers of my Wrangler. I'm hoping to test the 7m pole and mount at field day.
    Anyway ... thanks for the video.