My First Receiver

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF4SCI, Apr 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My grandmother's Tombstone Philco, I could hear AM phone on 160, 89 and 40. Built a 3 tube regen in Jr. High.

WB0MPB likes this.
  2. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Without an answer I'm guessing it sounds like a flea riding an appropriately sized motorcycle or a mosquito breaking the sound barrier. It all depends on the type.

3. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

I first listened to ham ops on our family's 1938 Zenith table radio, which my brother W9JDG and I inherited for our room,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    when it got replaced by a big "cathedral" floor model:[​IMG]

First station receiver was the chassis of a Grunow "all wave" console. I made an aluminum panel for it. For its dial, a coffee can cover painted flat black, on which I etched the calibration. It had push/pull audio output, an RF stage, and seperate oscillator tube for the mixer. It also had a BFO. Looked something like the image below:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    KF4SCI likes this.
  4. KI5WW

KI5WW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_0358.JPG Hal Skyrider Jr
    I was 5yo. Adult supervision not necessary. Minor, no blood loss or exposed bone injurys. Yes I took the back out of it just to see what's in there.

KA4DPO and KF4SCI like this.
  5. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it a bunch of little people with all kinds of sound effect devices & musical instruments inside?

KI5WW likes this.
  6. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

First heard HF and my nans radiogramme, which got my attention because the massive glass plate the tuning was etched on had all these European city names on it...but we were in Australia! These were the "SW1" and "SW2" sections of the dial.....I was allowed to connect a 30 ft wire down and wrap it around the wire fence, and this made many more stations come in. VOA, BBC World Service, Radio New Zealand International were easy to get.

KF4SCI likes this.
  7. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2017-4-15_13-44-38.jpeg

sony icf-2001. bought used at a pawnshop. a great radio- had a bfo (for ssb), not drifty. i used it with a hallicrafters ht-37.
    the sony used 3 d batts and 2 aa's for the memory. antenna was a homemade dipole. true- if i could hear 'em i could work 'em.

first introduced to radio by another army dependent ~1966. he took his mom's arvin kitchen table radio (ran off d cells as well as mains) out in the middle of the night, scratched on my bedroom window until i woke up then dragged me off on our bikes to a fire lookout tower waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the woods. we climbed to the platform under the hatch and sat there listening to stations all over the country and the big boys from mexico, too (xerf, xetra).
    i was amazed. we didn't have a radio and tv was so marginal we never watched it.

laugh-we came back from formosa in '58 and landed in mineral wells, texas. we hadn't brought any furniture with us on the boat, so sears and roebuck became out friend. got a silvertone b/w floor model, got it plugged in, hooked up the rabbit ears and............nothing on any channel. ended up calling a radio/tv repairman. he came out and looked it over and said it was fine.
    fine? then why no picture or sound?
    we don't get tv out here. too far away.

so, the thing sat there gathering dust for almost 5 years (including our next move to another place where there was no signal.
    i missed out on the early brain impressions i could have gotten from davy crockett, dan'l boone, rawhide, bonanza, alllllllllllllllll those westerns like have gun will travel, yancey derrringer, etc. had to settle later on with addams family and munsters, hmpf.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    W5BIB likes this.
  8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine was a Hallicrafters S120 when I was about 12 years old. My Father brought it home one day. I don't remember how he came about it. I thought that was the COOLEST thing ever!!

9. KY5Q

KY5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one of these in 1967. I used it to work the world (or at least everything within 1500 miles) with my GR-54, Ameco AC-1 and a long-wire antenna, mostly on 80 CW, with occasional excursions to 40 CW. I am still trying to find another GR-54 to replace the one that I gave away to another deserving novice back in the day.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

My first receiver was a brand new Zenith M660A... that got me started, and then I got a Hammarlund HQ-100AC (what an improvement). I kept the HQ-100AC until I sold the Johnson Challenger transmitter that I used it with. Everything I have owned for HF (as well as VHF and UHF) after that was a transceiver.