My First Receiver

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF4SCI, Apr 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF4SCI

KF4SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't laugh, this was how I became addicted to ham radio.
    I already shared the story of the ol' fart that showed me his "magic radio" and why it's necessary for me to have an actual "shack" Vs a dedicated corner of my house for playing with my radios so I won't go into all that again. By the way "Thanks Bob!" (aka Elmer). No, I didn't address him by his first name but it really was Bob.
    Anyway my first radio was an Echophone EC1 made by Halicrafters. (Mid to late '40s era) It was considered a general coverage receiver but only covered 3 bands. AM broadcast didn't interest me much but the cw sure did. I listened for hours just to get a few letters from each word then figuring out the rest to make sense of it all.
    It really was magic.
    I wish I had that old radio now! I'd build a shrine for it. But... it's underneath a mountain now, never to be seen again.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. WA4BCS

WA4BCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hallicrafters SX111. Spent many hours listening with a 15 foot wire across the bedroom. Unfortunately when I moved to Key West the movers dropped it and destroyed it.

KF4SCI likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My first was the Heathkit HW-7 that my parents bought me (as a kit) when I passed my Novice in December 1974. Worked really well but of course only covered CW on 80/40/15 so could only listen to other hams. But it was fun using a receiver I had built and made work myself, when I was only 13 years old. I got a Hallicrafters S-85 that summer and only then discovered Shortwave SWL

I had an EC-1 once a long time ago - I always thought they were a cool looking receiver.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and KF4SCI like this.
  4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1954 era Hallicrafters S-38D handed down from my Dad. Used scavenged blasting wire from the local cement quarry for an antenna.

[​IMG]

WB0MPB, W7UUU, KF4SCI and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

mine was a National NC-88, gotten at a Radio store in the Western Chicago suburbs in 1968.
    [​IMG]
    I have a couple specimens today to commemorate it

WB0MPB, W7UUU, KF4SCI and 2 others like this.
  6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it's time to rewrite the story of my FIRST RADIO, which I will do in another thread. It is well worth the read.

KF4SCI and K9ASE like this.
  7. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hallicrafters SX-110 It's sitting right here on the bench. I still like to listen to ball games and the Grand ole Opry with it.

N5CEY, KF4SCI and WA4BCS like this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

My first "real" shortwave receiver was a used Heath AR-3 that my parents got me for Christmas 1957. It was bought at the old Allied Radio store located at 100 North Western Avenue in Chicago, Illinois. That receiver was traded in, again at Allied Radio, for a Hallicrafters S-107 in the Spring of 1959 between when I took my Novice Class examination in February and the actual license arrived in late May 1959.

Since then, I have acquired 2-additional examples one of which I have restored and the other which I gave to my middle daughter.

Glen, K9STH

KF4SCI likes this.
  9. KF4SCI

10. KF4SCI

Please do!