ad: vanity

My First Post - Technician license and 10 Meter Radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by LINKO, Aug 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. LINKO

LINKO Member

Hi, I am studying for my technicians license. I would like to have a nice 10 meter radio and "get my feet wet".

I live in an HOA neighborhood so an out door antenna is out for me right now.

I would like to buy a quality radio that will be the best I can expect on 10 meters. I am planning on a Dipole with balun in my attic.

Could some of you make some recommendations on a radio?

Thanks

2. LINKO

LINKO Member

I am thinking of buying an all band rig, transmitting on 10 and listening on the lower bands to get my feet wet and buy once cry once.
    Looking at the Icom IC7300.

KB4QAA and NH7RO like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a much better idea than a "10 meter radio."

Also, although 10m was open pretty often in June and part of July (Sporadic-E), and FT8 on 10m is still producing quite a lot of contacts, for voice modes (SSB) it's pretty dead. You can't "listen" to FT8, you need a computer and software to decode it.

The lower bands (20m/30m/40m) are much more useful "right now," and probably for the next few years.

NH7RO and K1XS like this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an older Radio Shack HTX10 . Compact size and runs on 12V so you need a 10-15 A power supply, Runs 25 W peak output on 10M, and all modes but CW, I would think there are lots of them sitting in basements or garages unused. If you can track one down I bet you could get it for 20 Bucks !

On SSB, I worked into Europe, Japan, S Africa, Kuwait, Argentina and the south pacific and many more places with mine. I worked FM repeaters with mine, all over the US also, and a lot on simplex FM, Even into Europe. (But a Tech only can use SSB)
    Locally I could work direct wave up to 70 miles to stations with tall antennas In Michigan and Ohio.

At a bargain price (mine was $ 59 brand new in the store!) , you can afford to get the Fancy all band radio when you get the upgrade in license !
    Oh yes, I used a 3 element Monoband Yagi on my roof, 30 Ft above ground level.

DON'T FORGET a Tech can use CW on several segments of the HF bands so getting an allband radio is not a bad idea either. Manually keyed CW is an Efficfient mode if you don't want to use a computer hooked up to your radio and purchase a digital interface and software additionally, to use RTTY and the popular digital modes..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree--do not buy a 10 meter only radio as when you upgrade you will want to work the other bands. And with the decline of the sunspot cycle 10 will see little activity. The 7300 is a very good radio. Just remember if you put up a 10 meter only dipole in your attic it will not be optimum for receiving on the other bands.

NH7RO likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

Very true! But a digital interface and software can also work Morse Code (CW). It sends perfectly (well, as good as you type!) and the "decoding" ability isn't too bad on a clear frequency if the other station sends very good code. It's not a bad "introduction" to how cool CW can be, and gets some people excited about really learning it and getting better.

8. W9KEY

W9KEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm also a new ham, and just put up a multi-band dipole (no HOA problems here) in the backyard for my first HF experience. Antenna works great on 40 & 20 meters, covers about 1/3 of the 80 meter band, but in spite of being decently tuned on 10 meters - I've never heard anything significant in the past 2 weeks. I may have other problems, but 10 meters has been absolutely dead every time I've tuned across it. So putting up a 10 meter "only" station would have been a huge disappointment for me.

I did just string up a temporary vertical 10 meter dipole and managed to connect with several guys on a local 10 meter net - they were barely audible on my horizontal, but decent signal on the vertical. And although the vertical antenna worked pretty well, I joked that we were almost close enough to talk by simply shouting out the window (an exaggeration, of course).

A friend recommended ARRL's book, "Small Antennas for Small Spaces" - Projects and Advice for Limited Space Stations, by Steve Ford. It's a great book that might provide several alternatives or better options for you to get on HF.

Others with more experience can certainly provide better advice - but so far I've not heard any activity on 10 meters, what-so-ever. But maybe I've just not listened at the "right" time?

9. WB2WIK

You have to be on when Sporadic-E is working. For me, about half the month of June had that, and it's extended into July and even "now."

But it's very location-dependent, and it certainly helps to have a beam. Over about six weeks this summer, I made about 500 contacts on 10m SSB and CW, however those on FT8 often made a lot more than that! (Difference is, FT8 can decode signals so weak you actually cannot hear them.)

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Good luck with whatever choice you decide and welcome aboard!