ad: w5yi

My first modern-day project

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KI5OMM, Oct 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I built a number of radio kits and various projects nearly 50 years ago as a kid. This switch box is my first scratch-built project in recent times.

I wanted a switch box to conveniently switch my boom microphone between two radios without pulling plugs etc. Additionally I wanted to hard wire my pulse tuner so that I could just flip a switch and use it without pulling plugs also. I drew up a schematic and ordered all of the various parts and pieces from eBay. I already had the boom microphone and adapter cords for each radio . Heil uses a 4-pin XLR connector for this microphone so that is what I used in the switch box also.

The hardest part of the project was drilling the large holes in the rear panel for the connectors. Fortunately the box is made of the softest aluminum known to man. I could have probably used a pocket knife instead of step drills.

I'm pretty happy with the final result and everything worked as planned. One thing I did not count on when drawing up the schematic is that the pulse tuner sends a signal to the microphone element as well as the mic input in the radio. When I am using it I can hear a slight clicking of the pulse in the microphone. It's not a big deal though as I only use the pulse tuner for a few seconds at a time anyway. I just hope it does not damage my microphone element.

I know this is a really simple project, but I hope to dive into a few more complicated projects later this winter.
    Bud-KI5OMM
    IMG_3819.JPG IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3830.JPG

N2UHC, W1VT, KN6FWT and 4 others like this.
  2. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very neat work!
    some of mine may not look pretty but they work for me

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful.... radio building can be VERY adictive! To paraphrase Yoda: Once you start down the Dark Path (aka Radio Building) forever will it dominate your destiny! :D

WB5THT likes this.
  4. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

heh one of the power supplies i have is an old solar panel unit from a natural gas reporting station. (The company upgraded it and gave me the old solar panel) added a small boost transformer and voltage regulator and the thing powers my little 5 watt qcx nicely with no low power condition when broadcasting into a dummy load.
    cant wait to get my license and try it out at my camp on the hill.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work! Fits in nicely with the rest of the gear.

KI5OMM likes this.
  6. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Stan!

7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a microphone switch for my HF rig in order to be able to easily switch between a microphone and a digital mode interface connected to my computer. I simply used one of those old A/B computer printer switch boxes, using the original DT25P switch, and installing a couple of 8 pin Kenwood mike jacks into the front, with an old microphone cord and appropriate mike plug coming out the back. It's not quite as fancy as your switch but it works. It saves a lot of wear & tear on the radio's mic jack as well.

KI5OMM likes this.