ad: wmr-1

My first international contact on 2m!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9IUB, Aug 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked the states on 2m, easy really when the US end was W5UN ;)

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, enjoy your VoIP contacts. Some of my most memorable QSOs have been there. Unlike on HF where you and 10,000 other screaming yahoos stand in line to get a 10 second exchange with someone on the far side of the globe, you can actually have a chat with them and perhaps learn a thing or two about their country.

You hear some remarkable things on EchoLink. We were driving through the Twin Cities one Saturday morning, listening to the discussions on the HandHams worldwide net via the Minnetonka repeater. An old time down the south - Alabama or Mississippi, I don't recall which - was having a long discussion with an older Japanese ham. The conversation eventually got around to food, and the southerner remarked that he and his wife really enjoyed catfish. "Cat?" "Fish?" replied the JA station, "what is a cat fish?". " I know dog fish, I know tuna fish, but what is cat fish?".

This conversation went on for quite a while, with the southerner trying to describe a catfish to the Japanese ham. Eventually, the southerner talked about how to prepare "them catfish", and that he and his wife Marge liked to go to the local restaurant on Friday nights for the weekly catfish special. "You can order them wit da bones, or widout da bones. I always gets 'em widout da bones cuz I ain't got no teef".

I've had fun chatting with a guy walking a beach in Tasmania with his converted Motorola HT, and talking to English hams on their way home from work as I was driving in to my job.

Many of these things happen on D-star, DMR, and Fusion, as well as on IRLP and Allstar. They all have a place.

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it absolutely does not count. You might as well start counting Skype "contacts".

K1OIK, N6QIC and 2E0WMG like this.
  4. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

We seem to have a different view on what "Work" has to do with HAM radio,with a good antennae ,favorable band,it's as easy as taking the candy from a baby's hand.Some others network, and interlink's, like catching trout in the kitchen sink.

N6QIC likes this.
  5. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I talked to an operator located in Germany on Facebook, he was 59 . Very good signal.

N6QIC likes this.
  6. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure I get your drift OM, working stateside on 2m isnt like "taking candy from a baby" I had to wait for the moon to be in the right place :p

7. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

some real killjoys on here.

congrats OP

WZ7U likes this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

Years ago, when U.K. operators did not have 6-meter privileges, we used to work them cross-band with the stateside station transmitting on 6-meters and the U.K. station transmitting on 4-meters.

I still have my home-brew 4-meter receiving converter. For the antenna, I would disconnect the antenna from my television set and connect the converter to that antenna. Then, a length of coaxial cable from the converter to the receiver in the radio shack.

Since the QSO was "cross band", it did not "count" for any awards. However, it definitely was a satisfying experience to be able to even hear a 4-meter signal from the U.K.

Glen, K9STH

KK4YWN likes this.
  9. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Honest question.....what is the furthest 100% RF confirmed 2M QSO?

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most likely something using EME (moon bounce).