My first international contact on 2m!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9IUB, Aug 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KD9IUB

KD9IUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I talked to DK6NZ from Germany yesterday! He was on echo link but it still counts!

N6QIC likes this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations on your contact but,
    Be prepared for incoming posts about IRLP and echolink, you may want to take cover.

It really does not count, it is over the internet. I am happy that you got to talked to someone in Germany, but that is it. Once you make your first HF contact to Germany you will understand what I am saying.

I guess to some IRLP and echolink has its place in radio, but it is a radio/internet contact, its not a radio to radio contact.

K1OIK and AD5HR like this.
  3. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as you are enjoying it fair enough, by the same token if it counts in your book then that's all really matters. Is it radio? Sort of but not really...

OK, let the flames commence...

N6QIC likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My first international contact on 2-meters was to British Columbia on 2m SSB during a VHF contest runn 150 watts to a 9-element Yagi at 50 feet.

But I was using radio for the entire contact, not VoIP via repeater so it probably doesn't count :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, KD8ZMN, KA4DPO and 4 others like this.
  5. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

(Joke)
    If you want the full inferno, just mention
    That you are asking for a QSL card.
    (End joke)
    Just keep on enjoying talking to people and learning how things work.

KK4YWN and WD4IGX like this.
  6. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Counts for what?

K1OIK and N6QIC like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

It counts in his book as a memorable QSO. Shouldn't that be enough?

N0TZU, KE4YOG, NL7W and 7 others like this.
  8. 2E0WMG

My first international contact on 2m was with France, I've also worked Germany with 25 watts and Belgium on 2m FM 5 watts into a collinear, RF end to end during good lifts.

I used to play about with receiving ships AIS (162 MHz) and whenthings started to happen there it was a good time check out 2m. I worked Slovenia on 4m FM with a vertical and 20w, I was well chuffed with that. Not bragging, just right place right time.

Echolink, no thanks, not for me...

9. 2E0WMG

Yep, spot on....

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some South Korean hams who build portable yagis, and climb mountains, to work 2m from South Korea to Japanese repeaters about 700 miles away. They have a blast.

WG7X, WZ7U and KD8ZMN like this.