ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi i would like to know if i connected the wires correctly on my key,i did try to follow the instructions but the picture they show is a Paddle and not my key.

Under the key;

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/JamesJB31/StraightKeyUnder.jpg

The key;

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/JamesJB31/StraightKey.jpg

BTW that white wire i have taped so it dont go all over the place,its not being used and i dont want to cut it cause i might need it.

When i try to send i get garbage showing up in CWget like for example; ##TTTEEEAA&&*** etc,every time i send something :(

Im not transmitting btw just using my radio as a Oscillator,its the 897D.

Not sure what im doing wrong. Please help.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can hear your "oscillator" ;) making dots and dashes as you send them, you have the key connected properly. I've never used CWGet or any other code reading programs so I can't answer that part.

3. KB3SKU

I had a feeling i did but wasn't sure cause like i said i was getting garbage coming thru CWget,when i listen to CW on the air i don't get that but when i try to use it as a morse code oscillator i get the garbage text for some reason :( .

4. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CWGet needs pretty well send code in order to decipher it.

So what it might be telling you is your sending needs practice. Now that is a good thing to know. ;)

5. KB3SKU

Lol yea its not CWget's fault its mine,i suck :( lol

been trying to do a "K" for the last half hour and got it a few times but not great,ive tried a "B" but for some reason i just cant get it :(

Some letters are dang hard lol. But encouraging when i finnaly get a letter sent right lol.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. KD5LPB

KD5LPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't beat yourself up because some computer program can't decipher what you're sending. I've never gotten any CW program to decipher over 20% of what someone sent. I don't know if it's because I don't know how to set the software up correctly or what, but I know that what I'm sending is understandable.

7. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not familiar with your CW software, but I will add to the comments that they need almost perfect CW to properly decode.

Another thing is that the software configuration may not be correct. Is it adjustable for the speed of the CW? If so, be sure it is set to the speed you are sending.

If you have any hesitation at all during a letter, the software will most likely not decode it properly.

Do not worry about the software. Most people starting out on CW do not send perfectly enough for the software. The human ear and brain are much much better at understanding CW. Try to find someone who is fairly good at CW and have them listen to your sending. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

I highly recommend getting an antenna up on the CW bands and getting on the air. That is the best way to learn CW.

Some advice about getting on the air. Most persons who will answer your call will slow down to your speed. Most will do the same if you answer their call. However, some will not and will send back to you at the speed they like. Do not let them get you down. Just send "TNX 73" and move on. There are many, many Hams who are very willing to help someone who is new at CW.

8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a little unclear with what you are trying to connect up to what. Your picture shows what appears to be a straight key. Is that what you are trying to connect up to your 897D? You may need to set your 897 so that it knows you have a straight key connected to it. It sounds like you may have it set to think it has a paddle connected, which you don't.

Most likely, you will want the tip of your cable connected to one terminal and the ground connected to the other. The 'ring' will not be connected to anything for a straight key. I'm guessing on that cable that black is ground. You can verify whether the white or the red is the tip using an ohm meter.

9. KB3SKU

On my radio the 897D these are the settings Which i kept at default im still pretty much learning the features of this radio,there's a lot lol.;

Menu Mode
    No-022
    CW Auto Mode =Off

No-023
    CW BFO = USB

No-024
    CW Delay = 250ms

No-025
    CW Key Rev = Normal

No-026
    CW Paddle = Elekey

No-027
    CW Pitch = 700Hz

No-028
    CW Qsk = 10ms

No-029
    CW Side Tone = 50

No-030
    CW Speed = 12wpm

No-031
    CW Weight = 1:3.0

Sorry so long but you experts know more than i do :)

Btw i do still need to learn to receive also but i like learning to send (not tx yet btw) too,its keeps me busy lol.

Yes that is the key im using,its my very first key,when i brought it it said something about being a hand key.Isnt a hand key a straight key? Im very new to the CW world so i dont know all the names of different keys.

I want to learn so bad,I really wish my mind would hurry up so i can enjoy World Wide CW :)

Here is a sample below,how am i doing? its suppose to be KB3SKU Test SK.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  10. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

SKU,

SLOW IT DOWN!!!! Your dots are too fast for what you are trying to do. Listen to one of the W1AW .mp3 files on the ARRL website. It will give you a really good idea of what it should sound like. You should listen to THAT, and then copy it. Your number three comes out as "S M". The space between letters should be ONE DIT long. There should be no spaces betweeen the dots and dashes in the number 3.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.