My call sign has been used by a scammer (W9APX)

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W9APX, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. W9APX

W9APX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Everyone,

John here, W9APX. It has been brought to my attention by another member of QRZ that my call sign has been used to scam a fellow Ham. I can assure everyone here that it was not me. I have not sold anything online that is Ham-related in the last several months.

I also haven't logged into the QRZ site for awhile. When I logged in today, I noticed there is now 2-factor authentication, and also ID verification. I enabled authentication, and submitted my ID for approval.

The Ham who brought this to my attention suggested I add a real email address to my QRZ page. I have had a real email address set up for awhile now in my account settings - do I also need to post it up on my actual page?

John Tibbetts,
    W9APX

2. W9APX

Never mind about the email question - I added an email address to my page.

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

So did the scammer reply to someone's WANTED ad? How was the scam committed, email used, etc?

4. W9APX

Yes, the scammer replied to another QRZ member’s wanted ad. That member contacted me via email to let me know about it. I don’t have the specifics of this transaction, except that the fraudster did ship the item, but it was defective and was not as advertised.

The same scammer tried to scam a different Ham a few weeks ago on PayPal - that Ham contacted me via email. The scammer had been using the now non-existent email w9apx@keemail.com, in both cases. In the PayPal scam, he had asked the buyer to pay via the “friends and family”option, which offers no protection for the buyer. Luckily, he was smart enough to pay with the regular option, and then the fraudster immediately refunded the money. I’m guessing he didn’t want to get caught.

5. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

BUYER / SELLER BEWARE OF SCAMMER -- NOT W9APX

The scammer used "w9apx@keemail.me" to contact me in response to an item I put a wanted ad up for: "Heil Pro Set Elite" Headphones. Scammer responded with pictures that were NOT the requested item :rolleyes:, however it was a similar product (Heil Pro Set Plus). The description given was: "Almost new, I am the original owner,I have the original box as well as the instructions. Shipped CONUS only via UPS with Insurance, Asking $145.00 Plus $10.00 flat rate shipping including insurance.visit .www.amazon.com to buy a gift card of $150.00 and get back to me thanks"

He is not the most meticulous scammer, obviously, however there's still a chance he can scam you or others!!

73 DE KE7RUX

scammer.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  6. KA2FIR

Don’t put your email address in your post. Anyone without a qrz account can read ads.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

The scammers think hams are stupid...oh, wait :(
    Be smart guys. Note the red flags.

8. KE7RUX

?
    If you re-read my post, you will see the scammer's email...and my personal email blacked out.;)

9. KA2FIR

10. KE7RUX

Thanks - 73