My Boat Anchors

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KF0ATN, Oct 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF0ATN

KF0ATN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 59 and just over 2 years into the hobby, and 15 months since being licensed in June of 2020. I hold a General License, And I have a keen interest in Boat Anchors. I have 4 at present:

1: 1948 National Receiver NC-183, large table top unit, have original manual.
    upload_2021-10-19_11-6-35.jpeg

2: A 1948 home brew rig 80-40m transmitter , made from the USAAF Radio Command Set SCR-274-N , modified one for 80m one for 40m, originally built in 943?
    the ham who built it made to other components and the cabinet and called it the wolf special.
    Also a complete manual with hand drawn schematics and wiring diagram for all the non command set radios.

upload_2021-10-19_11-0-31.jpeg

3: A Heathkit HW-101 from mid 70s, with power supply and complete assembly manuals for both.
    upload_2021-10-19_11-4-21.jpeg

4: a Kenwood TS-830S from late 70s early 80s. have complete repair manual .
    upload_2021-10-19_11-4-42.jpeg

All do work, but need some adjusting, capacitor replacing and a good going over before trying to use.

I'm now and will continue to full photo inspect, and then carefully clean, and repair and/or replace what is needed on each unit and would like to chat with others who may be familiar with some of these units. I won't be selling these units anytime soon if ever, want to get them working and use them for unique usage such as CW,QRP and 160m I'll take all the advice I can get.

Attached Files:

N2EY and KA0HCP like this.
  2. W3TA

W3TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the disease - oops, I mean hobby............

Looks like you have a good direction and some nice equipment to start with.

Lots of advice can be had on this forum as well as many others on the web.

Enjoy!

Tom
    W3TA

Ps, I'm 58 and have been licensed for almost 46 years (sort of the other end of the spectrum). My boatanchor collection didn't really start "blossoming" until my kids got through college. Sure, I had a couple here and there along the way but the last several years my collection has grown - probably too big!

Used a TS-830S for many years in the 80's. Worked a lot of DX with it. Sold it to upgrade to a TS-850 when they came out - first and ONLY new radio I ever bought and still have it.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice collection from 50's to 80's.

4. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ed -- a great assortment of boat anchors! Welcome to not only ham radio, but to the addiction of boat anchor restoration which is its own form of crack. I'm 62, have been licensed for about 47 years, and didn't really get into boat anchors until last year -- when I was stuck at home instead of traveling for work. Making these old radios work again is incredibly satisfying, and it's a great way to refresh and reinforce your electronics knowledge. If you have any questions about that NC-183, shoot them my way. I'm restoring a NC-125 at the moment, have a NC-98 in pieces ready to restore, and finished a HRO-60 a few weeks ago. Also have a HW-101 under the bench, and a couple of Hammarlund HQ-180A's.

73 - Steve, KW4H

KD8WU likes this.