ad: chuckmartin

My best friend and mentor, N4CZT SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KC4UMO, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

As I sit here typing this I must say that it is hard to hold back the tears that I am feeling right now.
    Just moments ago at 1:03 pm 07/27/2008, I received a call . And looking at the caller ID It was my best friend and mentor Douglas Beckwith N4CZT. When I answered it was not the voice I was expecting. It was his son Chip.

He asked a few questions and validated who I was then told me the Doug had past away at 6 am this morning. I could not even say a word. My heart fell to my feet. Was like the biggest weight I have ever had. I then scrounged up enough courage to that him for calling me and telling me before I saw it in the paper.

Doug and I go back well before my ham days. He was the first radio amateur I ever met. I learned so much from him. I used to go out to field day at the Brightleaf Amateur Radio Club and help him with satellites every year. Then after finally getting my own ticket we spent many times looking over equipment and talking about AR. And we have done so ever since.

I was to go see him later today. Was going to exchange some info and pick up some parts. We were in the process of designing a ssb transponder. Something we were going to play with and learn from. He was so into that stuff. He was really a dedicated Radio operator. A great friend.

Doug was very active on 6 meters. He runs a Kenwood TS200 with a SB200 amp. He used a 4 element quad. Every time the band was open he call me telling me to get in the shack you missing all the fun.

I sure am going to miss him but he will always be here in spirit.

And to his friends and family, My heart and love goes out to each and every one of you.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. KC4UMO

Just wanted to add that if any members of the North Carolina 6 meter net on 50.200mhz read this please pass it on.

3. KC4UMO

For any of his friends that reads this, the viewing will be held between 6pm till 8 pm 7/29-08 at Wilkerson Funeral home.

I will also be getting with his son to help part out some of the gear he had later this week. Hopefully this will help with some of the expense.

Thanks to all of those that has called and emailed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.