My amateur radio turns on neighbors night light built into bed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I wish I could find it but there's a Part 15 brochure handout to give to people that explains how THEY are responsible for the problems they are having with part 15 devices. It also explains how radio interference is an FCC and not a law enforcement matter etc. It had a lot of great information and was a really good brochure if I could ever find it. I'll post it here if I do.

2. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Got to add this personal item. Has nothing to do with the OP (sorry) but had to add to the pile here: I had a neighbor about three houses up the street in a small subdivision near Atlanta. This was in the 80s...no HOA stuff and a nice 40 tower, beam and a few wires on the house. This guy was okay...not close friends but our daughters hung together a lot...rather nice folks.
    He comes to the house one Sunday afternoon and my wife answers the door..."I need to speak to Bill", he says. She says, "He's not here at the moment." He says, "Well, tell him when he gets back (sarcastically) that he's screwing up my TV!". She says, "Well, okay I will but he's been in Moscow for a couple weeks now and probably won't get back for another two or three." End of story.

W4NNF likes this.
  3. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I could use one of those.

Every time I transmit on 2 meters the lid to my washing machine locks and the indicator light comes on. Then I must unplug it to reset it.

This only happens on 2 meters and no other bands.

Oh wait a minute, that would still be MY PROBLEM.:eek:

4. KC8VWM

Well good luck with your RFI problem.

5. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

A psychotic neighbor is never a simple matter

6. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That police officer is awesome. Maybe he's a ham.

7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not long after I moved into this house and had put up my main tower, all power at the site where all of the television transmitters, in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, went off and all of the stations were off the air. That just happened to be the night of the local amateur radio club meeting and virtually every active operator in this suburb were at the meeting.

At the time, there was a certain neighbor who was very unfriendly and complained about everything. The school bus stop was in front of his house and every morning and afternoon, when the bus was picking up and then dropping off students, he would stand on his front porch and yell at them even though they were very careful to keep clear of his lawn.

When the television stations went off the air, he came storming across the street and banged on my door. When my wife opened the door, he started in on her demanding that I get off the air so that he could watch television. My wife calmly explained to him that not only was I not at home, but that the power had gone out at the transmitter location. She knew this because one of the stations was able to get back on the air with a generator but they were operating using a very low powered transmitter. I had an outside antenna whereas the neighbor did not and he was not able to receive that single channel.

He was deflated! Then, he started yelling that he had just popped a lot of popcorn waiting for his favorite program to come on and now the popcorn would go to waste because his program could not be seen. My wife just closed the door and watched him stomp across the street. Just before I got home from the meeting, the power went back on at the transmitter sites and everything was again fine.

Until the neighbor moved, over 10-years later, he still complained around the neighborhood about all sorts of things. However, he never even mentioned any interference because I was not causing any even though I was active in contests and was running pretty close to the legal power limit. None of my other neighbors complained about any interference and all of my neighbor friends said that they were not getting any interference.

I kinda "got even" with him a few years later. At the time, I had a travel trailer and would park it out front of my house to load when we were going camping and then when we got home. If you notify the police department, it is perfectly legal to have such parked in front of your house for up to 72-hours and I always notified them when such was going to happen. One time, we got home a day early and the trailer was parked. Within a couple of minutes after getting home, I telephoned the police department to tell them that we had gotten home early and that after the trailer was unloaded, I was going to return it to where I kept it stored. Then, I told them that they would probably be getting a telephone call from the neighbor complaining about the trailer and that there were no less than 3-automobiles parked on the wrong side of the street in front of his house.

Technically, it is illegal to park vehicles on the wrong side of the street but the police department seldom gives tickets for this. However, I knew that they were tired of his repeated complaints. As we were unloading the travel trailer, suddenly the neighbor, his wife, and his daughter ran out, got into the vehicles, and sped off, probably to take the vehicles around to the alley and then to their driveway (this area is "rear entry"). I suspect that the police dispatcher had told him that there had been a complaint about the illegally parked vehicles and that a squad car was on its way to give parking tickets. Of course, no police car came down the street. However, the neighbor never knew that!

Glen, K9STH

W9BFZ likes this.
  8. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a 15 year old novice ham operator, my parents neighbor called mom and told her I was interfering with his television. Mother had me get on the telephone and Mr. Beam (no joke) explained I was turning his television on and off. I could not believe it because I did not understand harmonic frequencies even though he was a former navy radio man and told me what I had sent. So I said to myself self you need to go over there and see if this is me and second if it is to fix it. I knew that as a 15 year old applying common sense this was my problem to solve. Forget about regulations I had better fix this problem. So a novice friend of mine Billy Stoddard came over and transmitted on my Johnson Viking Adventurer while I watched Mr. Beams television. Indeed I was turning the set on and off in a manner by blackening out the screen completely while transmitting. I recalled from my novice study or learned while preparing for the general to put a high pass filter on the TV and a low pass on the transmitter. I at age 15 from paper route money bought each filter from Memphis Amateur Supply and installed them the next day. Problem fixed. The moral to the story for me was to get to know your neighbors as friends and solving an RFI problem was my responsibility.

KD9HLC likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

I think that was very noble of you to take responsibility for fixing the problem. However, our society has changed since you were a Novice and a paperboy.

It's unfortunate there's many toxic individuals (nuts?) out there today who are easily triggered with rage who are not going to think out this problem in any kind of rational way.

They are certainly not going to understand the problem belongs to their faulty part 15 equipment and that you are just being a kind person just trying to help them out. All they are going to understand these days is you are causing the problem and by god, you better fix it right now or else....

So regardless if you want to help them out or not, the first approach you have to take with these kind of people is to clearly establish it's not your responsibility or problem. Unfortunately, that's usually where the conversation ends with them despite your best intentions.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That reads funny. I know you are right. Still I think as a starting point of thought the radio amateur is better served by showing neighbors he has a way of thinking about such matters and an attitude of helping to solve the problem. If I wanted to try a legalistic approach then I would hire a lawyer to write a letter. Letters from lawyers have a way of stopping frivolous complaints for about $250 bucks. I recognize that from experience being a business owner that is in a litigious industry.

But I do not think that is the way to deal with the problem. It is a neighbor. If you are really enthused about the hobby, the complainant holds the cards. You have more to lose. In the rare case where trying to help causes more problems hire an attorney. My view is ignoring the problem communicates that the ham does not really care. That is going to cause more difficulty in the majority of cases.