My amateur radio turns on neighbors night light built into bed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a fellow ham who used to be a full timer in a big RV. Every time he would tranmitt it would retract the auto stairs for the unit. This was no problem tell his wife decided to walk the dog late one night and there wasn’t any steps. (Thump)

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever you offer to fix something, then it becomes assumed you are in the wrong and they are in the right. It also applies to anything else that mysteriously malfunctions for this individual in the future.

Just an observation.

KC9YGN and N4MU like this.
  3. M0DPX

M0DPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Could'nt agree more with you on that 1.

4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he was trying to be nice about it. Which could bite him somewhere unpleasant if handled incorrectly.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW! See what 4 or 5 watts can do on 11 meters? LOL

7. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not use my unit last not night not did I have any intention
    I was sound asleep at 11pm and I hear my a car alarm go off.
    I took a couple of minutes to recoup my senses and noticed it was mine.

I looked out and hit the remote to kill it and then investigated
    My neighbor set it off by banging on my window thinking I was in car on radio.

He said his night light came on and went to car thinking I was inside transmitting
    and proceeded to bang on window but then noticed no one was in car.

A neighbor must have called the police as the alarm could have been making noise for a while of he may have been in neighborhood.

My neighbor told police what happened
    The police told him you do not go out at that he and bang on a window on property you do not own.

My neighbor said he thought my unit set up his night light.
    Police officer said did you ever consider my unit set off your night light.

He chewed him out for banging on my car.

He asked if night light was out and he said it is now
    He then police officer called in and low and behold the night light in his room came on and it must be a 100 watt or sold bulb for reading.

The police officer said this seems to be a common occurrence and the police will use their radio where ever they fill the need.

He went on saying it has been occurring since October
    I asked if I could show papers and the police said it is not needed but if it is fast ok
    The bill of sale and shipment was December the 28th and the antenna was 2nd week in January.

My neighbor said but he has this big antenna
    The officer said there is no antenna on this car as I had taken it off so no one would think my car was easy licking.

Officer sail why not unplug it from was, at night
    Neighbor said not using a remote off was an inconvenience

He said if I have another complaint of you banging on car you will see a real inconvenience

He also told him there are umpteen ham operators in area of 21043
    Many are very close by
    You can not pick and choose.
    Perhaps you should get a decent night light or just turn it off.

K2CAJ, N0TZU and W0VRA like this.
  8. KC3EPA

Added note neighbor said this has been happening since october.

9. KC3EPA

Good advice he will get no fix from me.My u it is operating legally and he needs to get unit that is without fault.His manual seven days it has no remedy and is prone to any RF.

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you have a very wise and experienced friend on the police force. OK, friend might be too strong a word... regardless, you got very lucky, even if it was an irritated cop who was not happy about being called out on a situation like this.

This incident documents beyond a reasonable doubt that the problem is not you or anything you are doing.