My amateur radio turns on neighbors night light built into bed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually operate my radio during daylight on 20 meters.
    Tonite 20 meters was open
    I made one contact at 10 pm
    After 10 I just listened and did not transmit
    At 10 45 he knocked at my car door.
    He said it was the 5 meter antenna on car.

My neighbor mentioned earlier that it turned on his LED light string in kitchen.
    Now he said it turns on night light in his bed with built in night light

I of course got off
    I offered to buy him a new one but he said it was built into bed

I want to be neighborly but can he just turn it off
    I think from a conversation it is remote control

He said it also set it off yesterday evening but I was not on.

He does have a solar array on his roof
    Could the array be working like a antenna feeding the RF through his house hold
    Solar array would not be active at nite

Any suggestions
    I offered him new LED string for kitchen and owners manual said it is prone to RF from hams and there is no remedy.

I could just drive my car a block away

2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go sit in your car and just monitor. See if he comes out and gives you a hard time. Then you know it is something else.

WD4IGX and K5BBC like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

The key here is that he alleged it came on when you were not operating.

That implies that “it” is prone to EMI from multiple RF sources. In other words, it’s not your fault. If it was your setup, and only your setup, then it wouldn’t happen from other sources.

Clearly your neighbor doesn’t want to hear this, or doesn’t care. He just wants it gone. And he’s putting the onus on you. Of course, even if you dismantle your equipment and go QRT, which I do not at all recommend, you will continue to get the blame, because you are the visible, easy target.

Get someone in a mobile to park close by and transmit, when he knows you are home but are NOT transmitting... say, arrange it while you are talking to him outside, away from your equipment. He can’t very well blame you when you are standing next to him, and you will have made the point that it’s not you, it’s his LED string. Or at a time when you are away (at work, at a meeting, on a date) and he is home. Etc. This is very important to do, you must be able to show that it’s not you. Otherwise, it becomes your word against his, and things can get... ugly.

KB2SMS likes this.
  4. N8OBU

N8OBU Ham Member QRZ Page

his led controller is part 95 junk

KB9BVN likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

The inverter on the solar panels is also likely part 95 junk. They emit broadband noise, like S7 to S9. Tune around in daytime.

KB9BVN likes this.
  6. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is his bed light a touch controlled light? If so, what he is describing may indeed be happening.

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you meant “Part 15 junk” guys.

Most consumers have no idea of what Part 15 means, how it is technically supposed to be applied, and could care less. They want their electronics, period,, and if they feel you are the cause of issues, they want you to stop or be stopped, regardless of the facts or the law. Most are just nicer about it.

K9ASE likes this.
  8. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that it can be annoying for a night light to come on without warning
    I do not own a bed with a built in night light
    I am assuming it is remote control
    It must be advantageous to be able to hit a remote for night light

I am assuming the be also has other features.
    It could have a position control or maybe a vibrator control

Luckily I have my unit in my car do to homeowner rules

I am using a MFJ 1967 5 meter telescoping whip
    He did ask me if I could use it during the day while he is at work

I could turn power back to 10 watts

I could use my 2 meter HT in house in stealth mode but I think the power level would be too low and it is more prone to lower frequency and power.

I can just move my car about 2 blocks away as it does not have to be in plain view.or I can use it inside house with as I have 16 foot cathedral ceilings.

I do not know how to eliminate RFI
    I just for some reason think it is his solar panel.
    There was no problem until it was installed about a few months ago and needless to say blame the amateur for garbage in your house.

Both manuals for bed and LED say they are prone to RFI and they offer no cure and he has already called both manufactures but not the solar installer.

9. KB7QPS

From my experience, I would expect that perhaps something else is going on, unless he has touch-activated lamps.

I live in a neighborhood of dense homes. I run between 100 and 1000W into an attic antenna. I've contacted my neighbors and have no reports of RFI, except for touch lamps.

Inside our house we have no issues at 100W. At 1000W I get some interference on the radios that are closest to the antennas, but it's not bad. No other issues, except for touch lamps.

If you're catching the theme here, touch lamps are activated by RF, and sometimes low amounts of RF. I have looked into it and there is nothing that one can do. The touch circuitry acts like an antenna and RF from amateur radio stations is enough to simulate a human touching them, so they cycle. There is no cure.

10. KB7QPS

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

I just looked at your map on QRZ, and it looks like you live in a townhouse?