My ad selling my IC7000 deleted for no pics...but were actually there

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by NY0K, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And now that it has turned out that it was your own mistake, perhaps an apology to the moderators is in order ?

N3AB and AJ4GQ like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Use the "Upload a File" button. See image below.

Your slam against QRZ moderation as your signature line was removed from your profile. Please do not put it back.

Dave
    W7UUU
    Moderator (NOT the one who removed your ad that had no pictures however)

upload a file.JPG

N3AB and K3XR like this.
  3. NY0K

NY0K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not my own mistake, as it appears to be an issue with the QRZ website when using their "insert picture" button on the editor. Perhaps moving it to a draft status and some (any) form of communication would have been useful. With that said, I will apologize to the moderator where the image wouldn't show on QRZ for them, even though it did for others.

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm the one that you want to chat with, and while I do wear corrective lenses, my vision is perfectly good.

The biggest problem thus far with your experience here has been your attitude. How on earth you would accuse me of not knowing what I'm doing, after my having operated this forum for 25 years, is indeed remarkable.

Here's what your post looked like when I opened it this morning:
    Capture.JPG

Those markers are the clue. They are where you _thought_ your pictures were. We understand that you saw the pictures when you posted the ad, but what you didn't know was that the image links were self-referential, i.e. pointing to file locations on your local computer and not to the QRZ servers. This only happens when you don't use the tools as intended.

Understand this before you unload on us with righteous indignation: tens of thousands of people have posted pictures here and so when one user (like you) comes along to tell us that it's broken, we're not inclined to take it very seriously.

After we deleted your ad, you posted the ad again, and again with broken pictures, but this time with links to some other website where the pictures exist, and then, a demand for PayPal Fees in your ad, which we call a "PayPal Upcharge". Your ad was subsequently deleted again, for having not one but two QRZ policy violations.

Someone else said it already, but yes, you do owe the moderators your apologies because we didn't do anything wrong.

-fred

N1VAU, AJ4GQ, WB0MPB and 1 other person like this.
  5. NY0K

Already apologized, Fred, further up the thread. I got frustrated with no communication, so I vented.

The original ad posts were not self-referencing to my local computer (would be accurate for uploaded files). I used the supplied "picture" button and supplied the URL that QRZ requested. The images were in the cloud, so to speak. Some people saw them, and one person didn't see them but when he replied with a copy/paste (in this thread on the first page) they magically showed up. Not exactly sure why this happened with QRZ.

I realized there was an "upload a file" button for replies (the button did not show up when I was adding the ad) and was actually in the middle of uploading the two images as files in case you still couldn't see the images but you nuked the post before I clicked the "post reply" button.

Some form of communication would be helpful in the future, especially when you don't see the image but do see a broken image link, so users can correct the issue by adding the file in the replies. Would save a lot of frustration.

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll throw in my $.02 worth of observation-
    It looks like the original pics were hosted on your personal website. Presumably it's set up (either intentionally or by default) so that you have permission to access the content on it but other sites are not allowed to link to it directly. Also the images would be in your cache so that's another possible reason why you were able to see them and others weren't.
    Going forward the best way to include images is to upload them to QRZ which will ensure that they are viewable to everyone. Alternately you could use a third-party hosting site that specifically allows outside linking such as imgur.

7. NY0K

Reasonable observations. I was looking for an "upload file" the second time. I didn't see any on the original thread post page, but it does show on the reply section after the original thread is posted. I was in the middle of adding the files when that thread was nuked. There was a floppy disc icon that I thought would be for adding files but hovering over it showed it was for drafts, not for uploading. I discovered one could drag-and-drop and it would attach by accident, which is what I did for the third try (still didn't have the "upload a file" button like you see on the reply area).

Edit: It's odd some folks could see the images, and when someone copied and pasted what they saw the images displayed with no issues.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Post a screen cap of what you see. TENS OF THOUSANDS of others see the "upload a file" button just fine and use it daily to list stuff for sale.... regardless of OS, what browser, etc.

Please post what YOU are seeing on that screen.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading through the posts here it doesn't look like ANYONE could see the photos except the OP. Therein lies the problem.

Seen this exact scenario on other forums, not just QRZ, and the OP gets bent out of shape because he can see the photos just fine. Best to review the posting guidelines so no confusion or dismay in the future.

Good luck OM!

10. NY0K

Also reasonable. Two images (top half of the page and bottom half of the page). Win 7, Chrome browser.

Attached Files:

• a1.JPG
      a1.JPG
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
    • a2.JPG
      a2.JPG
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views: