ad: elecraft

My 80 Meter Vertical

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jul 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Tom NJ1K writes "I read the article on one man's aluminum 80 Meter vertical and thought I would share my 80 meter vertical details.

I made mine from 63 feet of 2" type "L" copper pipe. I joined the sections together with sweat couplings using 95/5 no lead solder. It is bolted at the bottom with a 1/2" carriage bolt through a 8 foot piece of 2" schedule 80 steel pipe driven into the ground in such a manner that it hinges. I placed 4 guy ties at 90º apart at 40 feet from the base. The guy ropes (yellow 3/8 inch poly-propylene rope) are attached at 20, 40, and 60 feet on the copper pipe with eye bolts. I measured and attached 3 sets of guys before hoisting it in the air.

To hoist it up, I bolted a 21 foot length of 1-1/2" steel pipe at the same point on the base pipe to hinge like the 63 foot element. I attached three pull ropes from the other end of the 21 foot pipe to the three guy points on the element such that the pull pipe is at a 90º angle to the element. One last pull rope was attached from the top of the 21 foot pipe and tied off to the rear of the lawn tractor. Started up the tractor and pulled it up vertical and then tied off the last set of guy ropes.

The finishing touches were an 8 foot ground rod and an inductor for matching. The entire assembly process was nearly monumental for one person but it was well worth the effort.

The signal reports I have gotten have been great. I always get compliments on my signal. Even though I have no radials attached to it yet, it radiates fine. The match is about 1.5 to 1 accross the entire band. Having high ground water here helps a bit I am sure. I like it a whole lot more than any dipole I have ever had and it's a great sight to look at in the back yard. For anyone who has any ability with structural design, I would recommend an 80 meter vertical. There are many ways to build them but one needs some creativity to complete the task.

Disclaimer: I assume no liability for anyone who attempts this whether with this design or or any other.

One last note: This antenna is higher than most of the trees around here so it naturally attracks lightning.

Have a blast,
    Tom NJ1K
    73"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.