ad: Schulman-1

MX-P50M HF Power amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by SA7CNG, Oct 7, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7KHH

N7KHH Ham Member QRZ Page

cold you explain exactly which ACC pins you are using. Cable sent with mine is apparently the wrong one. I am not sure I am using the right pins since I can not get the 817nd to trigger the amp. thanks N7KHH.

2. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the last couple of weeks have been running a MX-P50M with my KX3 giving 5 watts of drive CW. This afternoon worked all over the world from Fiji to Sweden on 45 watts into a home brew hex beam.

All logged here on QRZ logbook.

When out on campouts or SOTA activations use a LiFe 8400mA battery which gives a nominal 13.5v. The amp draws about 8A key down.

The MX-P50M are the best deal going, only one thing, in hot weather have a small fan stuck on the top with double sided tape as with long CQ calls they can get a bit hot.

Quite a few VK SOTA hams run these little amps and all give good reports.

3. K8CIX

K8CIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does any one know if there are any fold back protection circuits foe hi SWR?
    I always try to have a good match but with a portable antenna in the field you
    never know what the weather or wind can do to the antenna SWR.

4. DD5MA

DD5MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    Anyone can help me with the connection to my 817?
    With my delivery just the parts for the connection cable came, so I do have to weld it correctly by myself.
    Within the supply was a plug for the 8-Pole ACC.
    Please help, black cable to welt to .?. Pin and red cable to weld to .?. Pin ?

5. VR2KJ

VR2KJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also order one from PRC , Red cable connect to 817 ACC TX Ground , black cable to Ground

FT817-ACC.gif

DD5MA likes this.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Standard Caution, with ANY Tube or Solid-State Device RF Amplifier purchase.

What did the builder / manufacturer use as the RF Amplifier part?
    Sweep, Audio, glass RF or ceramic RF tube; Bipolar or MOSFET solid-state device
    ---
    MX-P50M by bg4igx
    The photograph shows the usage of Motorola MRF 196 N-channel MOSFET
    This device operates on 28 VDC, up to 1 GHz.
    This device was designed and optimized for the cellular/mobile phone industry (800-1000 MHz)
    Motorola MRF186 datasheet
    http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/data-sheets/MRF186.pdf
    ---
    IMG_3614.JPG
    I would assume these are NOS or "pulls" removed from used (removed) radio equipment.
    New Old Stock (NOS) in Netherlands, 20 euros
    http://dutchrfshop.nl/componenten/rf-transistoren-mosfets/mrf186.html?___store=en&___from_store=nl
    ---
    Part obsolescence?
    This device was designed and marketed by Motorola in 2002 (3G build-out announced).
    When Motorola divested into various companies, this part was transferred to Freescale in 2004/2005. Last year, NXP (ex-Phillips) acquired Freescale. This created a monopoly (>85% marketshare) for RF devices, so NXP announced it would retain the Freescale portfolio and divest of their legacy NXP portfolio of RF devices.

On October 27, 2016 it was announced that Qualcomm was buying NXP ....
    What will occur next is unknown. It is common for an assessment and review of the devuce portfolio. The MRF186 being a 15+ year design could be updated (expanding its operational range down to expanding mobile services 600-800 MHz); sold as is to third-party houses, OR eventually obsoleted.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

September 2015
    Jon Joyce, GM4JTJ built and documented these kits using this Motorola part, coming from China,
    being sold to various markets/buyers.
    http://g4fev.atspace.com/mrf186linear.htm
    As he noted, Chinese obviously harvesting parts from scrapped mobile/cellular equipment.
    IMG_3613.JPG

8. HB9EYP

HB9EYP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi did you buy it and are you happy? what about connecting to kx3. I read it comes with TX for ft817? tks 73 HB9EYP

9. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Softrock 40-30-14 RXTX transceiver with 1 watt out. I know they spec. 5 watts but has anyone run at 1 watt in???
    Dick
    N3HKN

10. SA3BZL

SA3BZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have tested the MX-P50M with my kx2 and it give as follows,

80m, p in, p out
    1W, 28W
    2W, 40W
    3W, 45W
    4W, 48W
    5W, 50W

40m, p in, p,out