MX-P50M HF Power amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by SA7CNG, Oct 7, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. SA7CNG

SA7CNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought i would share my test on the MX-P50 HF Power amplifier. I orderd it on Ebay, for about 170$ including shipping from HongKong. Delivery was very speedy, 10 days including weekends!

It is a linear amplifier, and the seller claims it will put out 45W with 5W input from 10m to 80m(from a QRP rig like the Yaesu FT-817). It has a band selector knob in the front that i suspect is for low pass filters.

I tried it out directly on 40m and got reports that i was two S-units higher with the amp running(it goes into bypass mode if you turn if off). Messured the current consumption to about 10A peak, with the Yaesu FT on full 5W. It doesnt get very hot either, seams to handle head dissipation rather well.

[​IMG]

I tested the amplifier with a marconi instrument and got surprisingly good results, the output is about the same as the seller specified, 45W.
    [​IMG]
    The amplifier doesnt come with any manual, just a few cords, one that connects the PTT from the FT_817 to the Amp in order to start it when PTT is pushed.

Im very hapy with my amp, i think its a fine compliment to my QRP rig, FT817, that gives me basicly the same power as a full sized rig, but the amp is small enough to be mounted ontop of my FT817.

KM3F likes this.
  2. SA7CNG

I took a picture of the insides of mine, and found a callsign, BG4IGX.

[​IMG]

3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the MX-P50 HF still working out for you?

4. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

SA7CNG, thanks for posting this. It's just what I need for my KX3.

5. WX4SNO

WX4SNO Ham Member QRZ Page

SA7CNG,

I too would like to know if the amp is still working well for you. I'm thinking of buying one to go with my 817nd.

Anthony

6. SA7CNG

The amp is still working very nicely, im very happy with it. It has been both in my radioroom, and i have taken it out on hikes aswell.

7. KC8MWG

KC8MWG Ham Member QRZ Page

How well would it likely work with other QRP rigs? I will soon be building a mcHF SDR transceiver (designed by M0NKA), which is supposed to put out 5 watts, 80m-10m.

8. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using one on a Flex1500, working fine.

9. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-50B but its a big amp in all honesty.

I have pondered with getting this little 50 watt amp as well off of Fleabay.

About how much would you say it weighs? And what kind of battery are you juicing it up with?

I was thinking of building a pickyback LiPO to power one if I got it. An AGM is just too heavy. Even a lithium iron phosphate battery weighs in at a hefty few lbs.

10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I would sooner see a special display rather than power out. How clean is it? Does it have an FCC approve sticker on it?
    Barry