ad: Schulman-1

MX-5 Miata Mobile Radio Install

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N9PCT, Jul 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N9PCT

N9PCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey!

Just bought a used Mazda Miata. Fortune would have it that the stock antenna's rubber cracked all around, water got in, and rusted the antenna from the inside. Naturally, instead of replacing it, I'm fitting in a Comet SBB-1 antenna for use with my Kenwood V71. It should look exactly like the stock antenna - I'm 3D printing a base to set it at the same angle as the OEM FM antenna.

Anyhow, I want to retain use of my car's AM/FM stereo. I also do not want to let the smoke out of it by TXing 50W from my V71 straight into the receiver.

Anybody know of a filter or something that will allow me to connect my AM/FM receiver and use my 2m/70cm rig on the same antenna?

I figured this would be a common thing, but I've searched high and low with no answer.

The other guys here at the Purdue Amateur Radio Club told me to drill the trunk and install an SBB-7. I'd like to keep the stock look. I don't want a life-size toy car :D

P.S. Picture of the car attached!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I operate from the Miata which is not very often do to keeping busy with the 5 speed transmission use one of the small mag mounts on the trunk lid with an HT.
    upload_2018-7-27_18-55-39.jpeg

3. N9PCT

N9PCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip, but I'd really like my dual VFO mobile in the car - it's my DD. And I don't want to scratch the paint with a mag-mount.

K3XR likes this.
  4. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tried to convince my son to put in a radio in his Miata. . .

[​IMG]

K3XR likes this.
  5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Drill a hole and put in an NMO mount for your ham antenna. Don't agonize over it. ;) It's a Miata, not a Lambo!