MVV 144 VOX mast mounted preamp, anyone have one ? opinions ?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N3YY, Nov 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N3YY

N3YY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone use these preamps and care to share your experience/opinion of them ?
    Below are the two i'm interested in and below them is my setup .
    • MVV432VOX 70cms Masthead Preamplifier
    • MVV144VOX 2m Masthead Preamplifieer
      The antennas are on the roof right above my shack, loft dormer in my cabin. Coax run is about 50 ft of LMR400 and i have no plans to run over 200 watts . 160w amp on 144 , i have no amp for 432 right now, just 50w on 432, no plans to run big power. Have an FT-991 . I am on a "RF noise quiet" mountaintop at almost 2100 ft with 50 mile horizon as seen in my QRZ page. Made a few 150 mile 146.52 FM qso with a stripped back coax quarterwave taped to a tomato stick out the window.
      New antennas are 16dBi and 18 dBi M2 antennas. Just getting back into this after being inactive since the 90's so pardon me being "out of the loop" . Did alot of mountain topping, vhf ssb, cw, qrp back then.
    • Thanks in advance !

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With only 50' of LMR400, I'd skip the preamps.

Although they're great indicators of local lightning activity because that's usually when they fail and you have to replace the GaAsFETs in them.:)

AK5B likes this.
  3. N3YY

N3YY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Sir . This is similar to what a few others advised me .