Must operate from car HOA concerns

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC3EPA, Jun 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate my amateur radio mainly 20 meters.
    I have a MFJ 20 meter hamstick and it works but is not the greatest beast.
    I purchased an MFJ 1979 and it works super great as it is about 17 feet.
    SWR is flat across band and I make dx contacts around world

My vehicle is a Honda accord and use a standard trunk lip mount but the 17 foot antenna is breaking my mount and I actually had to open base of mount and resolder center connector as the weight plus slight wind resisistance has split plastic base and center connector solder joint broke.
    I repaired it but the plastic base is in bad shape.
    It has worked for 3 months and I do not drive with monster antenna

I would rather not drill hole in trunk but may have to.
    I can not drill in roof because of electric moonroof and do not feel like playing with roof liners.

I see you tube videos where people use those humongous 3 circle magnetic mounts
    I am wary of those for a couple of reasons
    One being the grounding may be insufficient
    The other may be the base for the 3/8 inch 24 tip may be too weak for a 17 foot antenna

I thought about adding an extension to to the rear tow eye and mounting there with a galvanized L adapter that would extend about 6 inches and determine where to drill for coax where there is no gas tank.

If I do drill through trunk I plan on adding a painted aluminum plate painted and rubber coated on bottom for extra support or not.

Any ideas as I prefer the longer antenna as it is superb for vs.

When I looked at underside of trunk it had a t design for added trunk support with I would have to drill through

Any ideas would be great

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Forget about attaching the 17' tall antenna directly "to the vehicle" and try this setup instead...

A flat aluminum plate, piece of Unistrut, strips of angle iron, bolts and some EMT collars with knobs from a broken outdoor work light makes this:

IMAG0604.jpg

The 30' telescopic pole used in the photo:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unger-Op...Aluminum-Extension-Pole-Silver-Green/41134928

There's a number of temporary antenna possibilities using a telescopic painters pole to support antenna's from your vehicle.

....So does this give you any ideas for "stationary" operation in your HOA?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    KD5RJZ and NH7RO like this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are driving with a 17' antenna? Height limit of many bridges is 13'6".
    The metal is thin on most cars, now. While aluminum will help, it is soft. Better with a 10" plate of steel underneath. You will also need a 4" (Or so) "Disco" mount. It has 2 large round plates. Use the rubber gasketed one in the surface.

I have actually thought about getting a spare trunk lid, sandwiching the sheet metal between 2 12" plates of Stainless & through bolted. Then mount the High Sierra.

You can use the hitch, but not having the body of the car undreneath will lower efficiency.
    www.KOBG.com is a great place to start.

Ed

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Title of the thread suggests he's operating inside his car at an HOA and having trouble with the tall MFJ antenna attached to his Honda Accord.

NH7RO likes this.
  5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Driving around with a 177 foot antenna gives Hams oa really bad name and why HOA's do not like you.

6. KC3EPA

Thank you for reading as seeing I do not drive.
    I like your idea.
    It with a little tweaking and suitable pole could easily do 40 meters.
    The gentleman who mentioned it would be below the car ground if applicable could be fixed by feeding higher and a grounding strap to trunk
    I lobe your picture the wheel will hold it and I do not drive it with the large antenna
    I will will give it thought.

MFJ said their 3 magnetic mount would hold up but I have qualms
    Gentleman who said steel plate was nice idea but 1/4 steel is hard to drill through
    The steel on these card bodies are like thin.

I can make a hitch from back of tow eye bolt and also make it come up to level of trunk.
    In any case I love your idea the best.

W1TRY likes this.
  7. K5AMT

K5AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

W1TRY likes this.
  8. KC3EPA

My brother who has been a ham for years said he will make it work
    He is going to use the hole in the trunk for holding down spare tire
    He will add pole that screws into chasss for ground and place pl259 to 3/8 at top with a very small hole for base.
    He will place rubber gasket in hole and use a painted PVC plug
    The gasket is the same as those in tubs on the drain that you push in
    He said modifying and painting in no problem

He said opening will not be problem as it will clear by 1/4 inch
    Just remember to replace plug if it rains.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Count your blessings.

Now build a yo-yo dipole, and buy a tank of gas and drive to the middle of a national FOREST and find out what hf radio without the noise of a subdivision sounds like.

Do not be alarmed when you first turn on your receiver And the s meter reads s- nothing, :)

Rege

KI7MWM and NH7RO like this.
  10. KC3EPA

My antenna collapses to 21 inches and I can go to other positions.
    Except for maybe long antenna and a few others even a vertical is a dipole the ground is other half.
    If you mean horizontal dipole that is quieter since most noise is vertically polarized.
    I could even argue long wire antennas are dipoles when considering ground as counter poise or shield on coax.
    Thank you for your suggestion.