Musical instrument CW QSO

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M0AGP, Jun 5, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how many others have done this? First, I must say that my buddy and I were soundly told off for doing this and apologized. It was over 40 years ago so hopefully the statute of limitations plus my apology for a very juvenile teenage stunt will help me out here.

My buddy and I were both hams and serious trumpet players back in the day. Not sure whose idea it was anymore, but we went to a quiet part of the 10 meter band below where the FM guys hang out and above most of the SSB activity. And we got our trumpets out, put our rigs in VOX mode and had a fairly normal (apart from the issue that laughing and trumpet playing don’t mix well) QSO playing Morse code into our microphones! The old double tonguing and triple tonguing came in very hand (I think my “fist” was slightly better than his, but that was a matter of opinion).

Amazingly someone found us the one and only time we did this! Did they have a scanner that watched the entire 10m band, even at night??

I was a 10-10 member then and apologized at a meeting for the stunt (apparently the observant ham got onto the local repeaters and told everyone to tune in!

Has anyone else done such foolish things? We never did it again on the air, though we did try it outdoors from hilltops and once across a football pitch after a game where the marching band played: “are you guys going for pizza?” - had to slow the speed down due to local QRN...

KC3JIN and KD9PQB like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

MCW is perfectly legal - I don't see where there are any laws broken.

Different for sure - but nothing wrong with it from any legal perspective.

Dave
    W7UUU

K8PG and N2OTG like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, what's the difference if the oscillation is from electronics or from a vibrating column of air?

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to call CQ on my banjer when we played out. I met several hams that way! I could spot 'em with a big grin on their face as they approached me after the show.

5. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I certainly appreciate it at audio freq. rather than modulated to RF .
    Getting the whole marching band to synchronously transmit an AF CW message is brilliant. Gotta love that!

K8PG likes this.
  6. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow glad to hear some of you guys think it was ok - we were castigated for playing musical instruments as broadcasting music is illegal on the ham bands. Us saying “but that wasn’t music!” led to responses like “who’s to decide what’s music? The stuff you young, long haired weirdos like to listen to is somehow classified as music, so if it’s played on a trumpet, it’s music too!!”

Sometimes you just have to wait 40 years and things become ok...
    ... that last bit wasn’t intended to sound political, but kinda is

PU2OZT and WR2E like this.
  7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a toy keyboard to send code on the repeaters a lot way back when. It even had a record function so it was like having a memory keyer.

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So I could use SSB and put out something like, "OUUUUCH OUCH OUUUUCH OUCH ... OUUUUUCH OUUUUCH OUCH OUUUUCH..." and be fine?

9. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you could not say about a musician (whose trumpet code
    is hard to copy) that they have a lousy "fist."

M0AGP likes this.
  10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so much a lousy fist as much a lousy lisp.