ad: portazero-1

Music Recordings, Won't Play on my Car CD

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2WH, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That decision is made with the dyes used on the disc's recording surface, the laser power of the recording drive, and the speed the disc is spun at.

These factors determine how much detected voltage shows up at the pickup diode, the shape and character of the eye pattern, the block error rate, and other characteristics of the signal quality.

Many portable and car players had trouble playing certain recordable discs while having no trouble with store bought discs. This used to be a big issue when I was the technical director at Sterling Sound in the 90's and oughts. We searched far and wide for the 'good stuff' that would play well on the most systems. Mitsui Toatsu was a clear winner of the high quality CD blank makers.

Sometimes when having trouble, it makes sense to try a few different types (manufacturers) of blanks and/or follow Scott K2CAJ's suggestion of trying different recorders and players to narrow down which piece of gear is having trouble.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    K2CAJ likes this.
  2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just checked my monster 128mb thumb drive that I plug into my radio in my Dodge Ram and the files are all .mp3. I know it's not a CD but I was curious after reading the thread...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing that I learned, Was the speed of writing maters.

I always write at 1X for a good burn. Some people want to write at 10X or faster, Just to end up with a half fast CD burn.

EPROMS have better data retention when you do a slow burn also.

I go slow in my old age. But time flies by fast.

KD2ACO and WA9SVD like this.
  4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

error...

5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry,got messed up....re; radio shack.

there was a girl in la porte who really did know her stuff,BUT the x pert guys were really entertaining !!!

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I LIKE your comment about "flack ast:p" copies. Probably the problem I had. Just be BEARABLY able to be read on the regular CD readers, but not in the car.

KD2ACO likes this.
  7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Digital audio is wild that way. Things seem just fine and all of a sudden, no play. The multitrack pro machines cost more than a nice house and were prone to all sorts of troubles. Figuring out those issues was always a chore. For the CD compatibility issues. I outfitted a Sony pro CD player with logic latches, LEDs, a timecode reader, software on a PC to make a "CD checker" that could graphically point out how well the CD was playing, the bit and block error rates, and buffers to feed the focus servo and detector signals to a scope so we could really look into the wonders of a format "on the bleeding edge."

This was just before DVD, and Blu-Ray wasn't a gleam in the inventor's eye yet. I'm kinda over digital audio these days... still master lots of music but the fun stuff is cutting audiophile records. That's a "manly" art form (but my wife likes it too)!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His and Hers mastering systems! :p

Indeed!

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that's with raw, uncompressed audio, where an irretrievable sample could be interpolated from its neighbors.

It's astonishing that they settled on the same basic format to deliver movies, which not only require a higher data density, but also complex and compressed data that can not gracefully degrade. A tiny scratch just ruins everything.

It's even crazier when we consider that people used to rent movies, from video rental stores. So you have a medium that is super-sensitive to an imperceptible scratch, and it's going to sit on a dozen different coffee tables before you get watch it. The DVD standard was easily the dumbest single media format ever developed by the industry.

On the other hand, the inadequacy of DVDs was a big driver for early streaming services, so that was helpful.

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

I have to change all of my CD's to mp3 format, despite slightly lower quality sound, but in an auto, it probably doesn't matter.

Now (with a new vehicle) I don't even have an option of CD.:(:mad:

But the original thread was why a CD would or would not play on an automobile CD player, but was OK in other machines, including computers.

FWIW, I was using "Roxio" Creator (v6) to make copies onto a Plextor recording CD writer, often considered the "non plus ultra" of CD drives; YMMV. As I said, 90+% or the CD copies I made were usable; just an occasional "bad" disk for the auto. I assume the "cheap" CD's were not of good quality.:(:mad:

I'm still in the process of converting the CD's to mp3 to play on/in the new vehicle. (BUMMER!:mad:)

10. WA9SVD

Be forewarned! :rolleyes: Vinyl is FINALLY making a resurgence!:D:rolleyes: (Glad I never got rid of the old vinyl Kingston Trio and Everly Brothers...;):rolleyes:

KD2ACO likes this.