Music Recordings, Won't Play on my Car CD

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2WH, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I made a few recordings to my CD player, that will not play on my car CD player saying there are not audio files on the CD even though they are there.

Other purchased music CD's in the car play perfectly.

The files on the disk, are in .WAV format.

They will play on my laptop internal drive, my laptop external drive and on my home stereo system but not the car even though the player in my car will play any other CD in put in there.

What gives ?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

radio instructions will tell the format it accepts. why they are fussy???

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You probably need to use MP3 format, most can play that.

Check the manual for the car system .

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong format !
    The audio system in my 2011 Ford F 150 has a very sketchy instruction section in the owner's guide. You are supposed to have an instinctive understanding of digi audio from birth.

K9ASE and W9WQA like this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what my wife says---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE and KD4MOJ like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like WR2E says that may be the problem.
    CDs have their own format... .cdr or something like that. Data files like .wav may or may not be readable. Check the manual.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with the player, you need a new car.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KD8DEY and K9ASE like this.
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Although the MP3 files are 'data', most car players know what to do with them.

For use in a car when absolute fidelity is not needed, the MP3 files size means you can fit a whole bunch of music on a single CD-R.

I've got nearly my whole library (LOTS of music, weeks worth if played continuously) burned onto maybe a dozen CDs that play fine in MP3 format in my '08 Honda. The amount of time I spend driving these days, I can go weeks before getting through one CD before I hear the same song again.

10. N4BCD

N4BCD Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing a disc player does after the disk is inserted is to spin up, identify the disc type (pressed CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW based on reflectivity and data), and then read the Table of Contents (TOC). This tells the player the types of files and which CODEC's to use for playback. This is true for ALL disc players. Automotive players are usually several generations back from home players due in part to the extensive validation testing of components going into a car.

With that said, there are a myriad of reasons why a disc someone records on one player not playing on another. Sony-Philips specifications for polycarbonate disc playback (Red Book for CD, Orange Book for CD-R, etc...) only guarantee a disc to play back in the drive they were recorded in.

The original poster notes he was using WAV files. WAV files are typically uncompressed 44.1 Khz 2 channel PCM. To make a "playable" CD, one needs proper software to encode (adding Reed Soloman error bits and interleave) before burning the image onto the disc. Most modern players will recognize a simple linear or nested (sub-folders) TOC of .mp3 files and play them fine.

Mark N4BCD

KU4X and KD2ACO like this.