Museum Ship Weekend QSO's

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

This weekend, June 1 & 2, was Museum Ship Weekend. 116 museum ships around the world participated. Other than working each other on the air, many were working other amateurs.

I managed to have a very nice QSO with NB6GC, the ARC on the aircraft carrier USS Hornet berthed at Alameda, California. I have been aboard that carrier many times. Mainly for Big Band dances a dozen years ago or so.

The battleship USS Iowa (club call NI6BB) at San Pedro (Los Angles) was what I was really after. It was my father in-law's first ship assignment in 1950 when he was a new sailor. He went on to a full naval career from there. I did contact NI6BB, but they were only working other museum ships for the award when I called them.

Also I tried N6MSO, the 173 foot wooden Mine Sweeper USS Lucid berthed at Stockton CA. No joy, though. I tried because I know some guys working on that ship today, Sunday.

Anyone else make ship contacts?

Here's the list. This world wide event was sponsored by NJ2BB The Battleship New Jersey Amateur Radio Station. Scroll down about a page to see the list of 116 ships:

https://www.qsl.net/w/wa2tvs//museum/

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the information.

While I didn't make any QSO's, I listened to NB6GC for over two hours. At around 20 wpm, I could only copy around 75%, but it was great fun.

I also listened to WA1WCC (WCC Memorial Station, Chatham MA) and K6KPH (Maritime Radio Historical Society, Point Reyes CA.)

I "read the mail" quite a bit, but this was more ship / memorial coastal station than I had heard before. It was nice to learn what was going on.

N7BKV likes this.
  3. KM4SQS

KM4SQS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I chased ships all weekend, and ended up with 44. A few of those contacts were in the dirt, however, so I hope there's no busted calls!

Propogation on 20m wasn't so great from FL to CA, but I did end up logging NI6BB and W6RO (The Queen Mary): had to fight the QSB/QRN for those, though!

N7BKV likes this.
  4. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Was your contact with NI6BB CW mode? I want that one bad. We kept missing each other by minutes. Then they went on to other things.

5. KM4SQS

KM4SQS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately it was not. The only CW qsos I made were with K1USN, and technically count as dupes (as I worked K1USN on SSB as well earlier in the weekend). I hope to get more cw qsos with ships next year!

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, the action Saturday aboard the SS Red Oak Victory was very laid back. I had several extended QSOs with folks, very nice!! Many locals promised to come visit, or just us for Pancake breakfast, or whatever, made ab out 13 QSOs on 40n and 20m, 4 other ships. Battleship Iowa was an alligator biiig mouth and little ears, using a cage for both TX and RX. Difficult catch, Never heard the Hornet or Queen Mary. Pampanillo loud and clear, 8 miles across the bay :)

Sunday Activity level seemed to be pretty hot, not quite frantic, as people tried to get as many more as they could. Unfortunately it was a disaster on board, I had to attend to fighting several non ham fires, the other station we;d planned to run gave us continuous Murphy and gremlins. One of the club folks couldn't make it, so no CW station, etc. I had a few minutes at 1930 UTC to catch my breath. Heard NJ2BB loud and clear, could not get through the right coast wall, and many stations were wrapping up... so no QSOs.

but I want a darn SWL card from NJ2BB!!

KA0HCP likes this.