Multiple identical-looking VTVM's.

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W1GUH, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The best VTVM I had was the RCA kit....of course, it was the ONLY one I ever had. I built it when I was about 14.

When I got married, 1970, I had no room for a shack or test equipment in our tiny apartment. I stored all my gear in my grandmother's basement. She also let her tenants store things there. Apparently, one of her tenants went through my stuff and took the VTVM. Oh well, it would be worthless today.

Danny, W0JMP

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not using the same editor, nor the same browser you are, most likely. Plus, I get auto-correct whether I like it or not most of the time.

3. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not using any editor, except for what the BB provides.

4. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

The Triplett that 'GUH showed us;

[​IMG]

is a reminder that the US created wonderful Art Deco objects, from skyscrapers to panel meters, in the early half of the 20th century.

Triplett made the humble panel meter into a thing of beauty.

I had my HP 410C out a few weeks ago; I checked & calibrated it and it came up trumps.

It has the valve/tube diode probe which is good to 700 MHz "bare" and well over 1 GHz with the special co-axial adaptor that I am also lucky to have.

My 410C is the valve/tube model as most were; the later ones were solid-state but I don't think a lot of those were made.

The 410C was, I think, the finest VTVM ever made (but it is not as beautiful as that Triplett!).

5. KB1WSY

KB1WSY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that one has the maximum specs!

Resistance on the DC ranges of 100 megohms (except at 150 mV or below). Ability to measure very small currents "such as leakage current in semiconductors, currents that most transistor test sets cannot measure" in the early 1960s.

All sorts of other superlative specs. That includes price, which was $300 list in 1963 -- 10 times more expensive than my Eico kit. That translates to $2,332 in today's dollars once inflation is taken into account (I used http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/).

One of these was on sale in the QRZ swapmeet last year and the seller posted these photos:

410C Front  leads.jpg 410C Front Panel 2.jpg

More info on this meter in HP newsletter from 1963: http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1963-05.pdf.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. KC9UDX

BB provides 3 different editors.

7. W1GUH

Thanks for that! I'll have to find and try all of them. Could be another one will suit me better.

Appreciate that you took the time to inform me.

8. W1GUH

VK2TIL:

"Four eyes are better than two...." I never noticed that until I saw the pic that I posted. Just didn't see it with the unit I've got - just noticed that it's got the same shape and heft as a 260. Makes me even gladder that I found this one!

Sure appreciate those words.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used them in the past many times, ai get all warm and gooey inside every time I see one.
    Great meter, I am going to have to own one some day.

10. KC9UDX

I wouldn't have known there are 3, but in one browser that I use, for some reason, I get stuck with a different one than every other browser I use. After some digging, I found it was a forum setting. One of these days I need to take the time to see if I can force a different editor in that browser. That may lead to resolution of the issue I have with carriage returns in that browser.

If you go to General Settings -> Miscellaneous Options -> Message Editor Interface (near the bottom of the page), you will see the three options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.