ad: M2Ant-1

Multiple HF Sticks on a mast

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W3DDS, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3DDS

W3DDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Folks,

What would be the best way (if any) to mount multiple MFJ HF Stick dipoles on a single mast? I am thinking vertically would not be the best way. I was thinking of attaching them in series. Something tells me that this will not work though.

Thanks
    Mick

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What model numbers are the MFJ HF Stick dipoles?

3. W3DDS

That would be MFJ 2240, 2220, 2206

4. WB2WIK

To mount on a single mast, mount them at different heights on the same mast. I'd put the 40m unit "up top" (at the top of the mast), with the 20m unit a few feet lower and the 6m unit a few feet lower than that, and use three feedlines.

NH7RO likes this.
  5. W3DDS

OK.. I just want to make sure that this doesn't create a "Yagi" type effect and add directional component

6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

You could also mount them vertically and there shoudn't be much interaction if you can separate them at least several inches. Then you'll have omnidirectional coverage instead of a more bi-directional pattern (assuming you are close to a half w/l above ground mounted horizontally).

If you can't get near 1/2 w/l you might find the vertical "fan dipole" arrangement gives you better results close to ground.*

Jeff

PS: (*I would still keep the 6M dipole horizontal for weak signal modes but 20 & 40 vertically oriented))

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. WB2WIK

It won't, other than the bidirectional components dipoles have to begin with. On 40m, the takeoff angle will likely be so high it won't appear directional; on 20m, it might, and on 6m it will.