Multiband HF antenna for second floor apartment

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NC6B, Feb 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

while they are very narrow banded, tuning them is really not very hard. I tune mine by ear, and it only takes a few seconds once you know what to listen for. If you have an SDR Waterfall, it's even easier: you just put the noise-floor peak on the frequency you want and you are good to go.

2. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you build one and have manual tuning, add in a gear reducer to make it easier to tune. I had good luck with one that was either 3:1 or 5:1 ratio. I ended up making an Arduino controller tied to a stepper motor that had a 19:1 reduction gear box on it.

3. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP inferred he wants to keep it cheap. adding a gear reducer with warp drive and photon torpedoes kinda kills that idea

K9DWB likes this.
  4. K9KQX

well ya got good point there hehe. if they make a mag loop with warp drive, i want one. :D the photon torpedoes might be cool to take out the neighbors that complain about my antennas

K9DWB likes this.
  5. KE0VT

KE0VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the cheapest way to go but how about an Isotron antenna? Buy one for 20 meters, mounts on any pole. Antenna costs about $80. Later add 2 more, they jumper together using a single feedline. Add one when you
    have the money for it. They are omnidirectional. No ground needed, small, the 20 meter one is 21 1/2 inches long and 5" wide. Pick 3 bands, say 10, 17 and 20 or 10, 15 and 20. Check out K1CRA Store.com He is the
    retailer for the Isotron. I have 10, 15 and 20 on one feedline and a 6 meter on a dedicated feedline. Handle carefully, add star lock washers that will help maintain tuning on the counterpoise. You can get the SWR to 1:1 on
    each antenna.
    I have worked coast to coast, all over Canada and Mexico. Signal reports are not terrific but you can work almost anyone if you try. The 40 meter is a larger structure. Remember that you can link any 3 bands. You won't be sorry.
    Tuning is a little touchy but you can do it. Just don't forget the star lock washers.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

K9KQX likes this.
  7. KD2JAA

KD2JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

You can run a 20m dipole along the ceiling across the longest segment of your internal living space and fold down the tips along the walls if necessary and hit Japan on FT8....I know because I did last month. Greyline.

You can also stretch two slinkys out as the elements in the same manner and tune for 40m; I did that too. Used a nanoVNA to take the guesswork out though. The 40m slinky dipole is kinda like batting with a pool noodle but it will get you to first base. The 20m wire dipole hits Western Europe easily but then again I use digital and CW....SSB isn't so great with an indoor antenna.

Wire is cheap....and so are slinky antennas. If you can't afford a nanoVNA just keep the power low and start long and reduce length....just costs you time. My longest stretch of ceiling is about 28 feet and I got both antennas between 1.5 and 2 SWR at that distance with just a bit of sloping V. Invest in toroids because you are going to have to choke some power cables...my antennas like to Poltergeist some electronics.

8. K9KQX

i can only imagine the poltergeist affect on the neighbors electronics. i wouldn't tell them your a ham :D

9. NC6B

NC6B Ham Member QRZ Page

The tree is only 5 feet from my balcony

10. SV2FNN

SV2FNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Richard.you can try,something like this =....antenna from MM0YEC...
    upload_2021-2-21_15-55-33.jpeg