Multi-band radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7DGE, Apr 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. W7DGE

W7DGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a base or mobile radio that will TX on 2m, 70cm and gmrs frequencies. is there such an animal?

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W7DGE

W7DGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing will do that legally. GMRS requires a radio certified for GMRS, and no GMRS-certified radio is allowed to transmit on ham frequencies.

The Baofeng might work, but it isn't legal.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Legal? Who has the fortitude for legal anymore? It's all about how expedited things are. Nobody has time for legal.
    sarcasm.jpg

VK4FFAB likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And I thought Amateur Radio was supposed to be self-policing. I always that meant NOT advocating illegal operation, anywhere in the RF spectrum. Silly me.

KK5JY likes this.
  7. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You would think a General would already be aware of that....

8. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do I hear a voice of great experience speaking?

9. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that there are many such animals. You'll likely have to look at radios in places that cater to emergency services, airband, or marine band, rather than Amateur radio. Here's one example I stumbled upon:
    https://powerwerx.com/db750x-dual-band-commercial-mobile-radio

Such radios might not allow direct entry of frequencies like the typical Amateur radio. That Powerwerx radio has plenty of channels that can be programmed and so it's possible you can put in all the GMRS channels, and enough Amateur radio "channels", that you'll not feel any real limitations.

I gave the Powerwerx radio as an example, I have no personal experience with it. I am a happy customer of Powerwerx though, I've bought plenty of their products before, just not a radio. That radio got lots of good reviews on the product page, two by people identifying as a ham radio operator, so I assume it works well for 2 meters and 70 cm bands.

I doubt this Powerwerx radio is all that unique, I'm sure many manufacturers make similar radios. Getting them programmed for Amateur radio might need a call to technical support, they might have a software lock out on those frequencies which will have to be overridden. If you do a little homework before you buy you should be fine.

When it comes to the legality of using a single radio on both GMRS and Amateur frequencies I see no problem with it. The typical Amateur radio will not be certified for use on any other band, so I can't recommend trying to program an Amateur radio for GMRS frequencies. When it comes to going the other way, using a certified radio on Amateur frequencies, there is no such restriction that I am aware of. It appears to me that re-purposing old business band radios as ham radios seems to be almost common practice.

10. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There actually was a commercial dual-band radio that would do it legally. I remember it was made sometime back in the late 80s or maybe 90s. I cannot remember the model but it was a commercial version of the first Yaesu dual band ham handheld, the FT-727 (I think). They were very rare and my memory fails me as to the model number and I cannot find a reference to it in a quick web search.
    Yaesu did make a dual-band commercial mobile but I never saw or heard of one around here or if they could be programmed to work in the amateur bands.
    Gonna bug the heck out of me now until I can remember it. Meanwhile in searching for it I did find this radio: The TERA TR-590 dual band HH commercial and ham.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018