MSK144

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KO4LZ, Oct 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KN4JX

KN4JX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the antenna my be not receiving that good but...

The calling frequency is USB 50.280 also open all your filters and band width.

Signals can be very sporadic (In and out) for a good explanation check out http://www.mike-willis.com/Tutorial/sporadicE.htm

A good youTube example is here:

Good Luck

2. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I'll check into these resources. I was looking at pskreporter.info for 6M MSK144 activity for 30 mins, 1 hour, 12 hours, etc, and then looking up the bios of some of the people having good luck (while I heard nothing). Some of 'em seemed to have retired from high-paying careers, tall towers, big Yagis, etc. I'm probably out of my league, at least currently. The other problem is that 6M has been a bit noisy at my QTH, with my G5RV.

I'll make another attempt with no filtering and wide bandwidth, but 6M seemed a bit noisy. The spectrum graphs confirmed that. Pulling a weak signal out of near-silence is one thing, but pulling it out of heavy noise is another.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are making all the arguments for upgrading to a directional antenna. Even a homebrew 2 element yagi or moxon will yield major improvements!

4. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

A directional antenna will improve gain where it's pointed (at the cost of gain elsewhere). So the question, with meteor scatter, is where to aim it. Is it basically a crapshoot? Point it somewhere where you think meteors may be more likely to strike, and wait? If that's the case then maybe I can do it more cheaply after all. Wouldn't need a tower/rotor, and would just aim it manually before going into the shack for the evening.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you can't work many stations with a really poor dipole, then a yagi/moxon will be a big improvement.
    -Of course you need to figure out where to point it. The quickest way is to check the spotting sites, either list or graphic. Others will have advice. I recommend you read up on the subject.
    -Yes, a rotor is needed. A minimal temporary/portable ground installation could be done with a tripod and light TV rotor with a 2 element antenna Again, better than a G5RV!

6. AA5AU

AA5AU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Paul. I'm a new MSK144 operator. I'm using an Icom IC-756 PRO III and a 3 element SteppIR yagi with an added passive element to make it 4 elements on six meters. I've made 3 contacts in the past couple of days although I have decoded several signals. MSK144 operators are now using 50.260. I don't enough to say if your antenna is limiting your capability of receiving MSK144 signals on 6 meters or not but it might be.

7. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

A few thoughts: yes, you really do need a directional antenna. You might pick up a few pings on a horizontal wire but a 3 element yagi considered the minimum. I run a long boom 4 element LFA yaga (G0KSC design sold by Hy-Gain) and it seems to do well. I have a very high noise level where I live so I can at least point away from the noise with the yagi. I am rotating it with a cheap TV antenna rotator.

Use the latest version of WSJT-X, wide filters, pre-amp on and USB mode.

Getting that antenna up as high as possible is also a large part of the performance aspect. Try to get up at least 20 feet above ground - that's about 1 wavelength and should keep your radiation angle from being too high.

MSK144 is primarily for meteor scatter and the "pings" are very short - typically less than 1/2 second. You have to do this in the early morning hours when the earth is still rotating into the path of incoming meteors. After about 8 or 9 am local time it's all over. the MSK144 operators are going to be active these times so... you know... if you want to hear them get up early. :)

50.260 is the new calling freq that people are migrating to but still activity on 50.280. pingjockey.net is the site to watch for real time chats about what people are doing.

8. N2NXZ

N2NXZ Guest

Because like everything ham radio,some refuse to agree on ONE damn frequency and stick to it so instead our radios burn away senselessly receiving nothing all day and night. For some baffling reason,hams break into small groups thus dividing activity even more from an already dying hobby. So either you rot in a chair changing the dial manually wasting your life away for people finally agree to using ONE dial and stay there.I found it easier to put my radio back in the box.

9. WA7KSJ

WA7KSJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tune to 144.260 because WSJT-X has this frequency listed for MSK144. Ed WA7KSJ

N2IPH likes this.