MSK144

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KO4LZ, Oct 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings all,

I've noticed a lot of spots of "MSK144" on 6m lately and am assuming these are folks using a pre-release version (1.7) of WSJT-X. My (very weak) understanding of this mode is that it's primarily used for meteor (or other) scatter.

The question I have is whether this is a viable mode for someone (like myself) with a low-gain, non-directional antenna (like an attic dipole). I've had a lot of success on 6 meters running JT65 and would love to try out this mode as well.

Paul, KO4LZ

2. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as you mention this is pre-release. There are a lot of guys testing and experimenting with it on pingjockey.net.
    They can help you find the latest available WSJT package and get you started.

You can definitely make meteor scatter contacts using WSJT using simple antennas on 6 meters when conditions are favorable. It will be a lot harder than if you had a small Yagi like a three element. But if you are patient it can be done and is a lot of fun. You might find that you have a lot of receive noise or interference with your antenna in the attic, but hopefully not too much, and if the station you are trying to contact is running higher power than you maybe it will still work out.

I am sure that the meteor scatter enthusiasts would be glad to try to work any station.
    Good Luck,
    Harry WB3BEL

KO4LZ likes this.
  3. W5TN

W5TN Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of questions:

* Is FSK144 being replaced with MSK144?
    * Is the standard monitor frequency (for cq's etc) on 50.260 or 50.280
    * Assuming USB right?

Just getting started and playing around trying to hear something.

Thanks!
    David W5TN

4. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

MSK144 is a candidate to replace FSK441.

Folks are experimenting with it to see how robust it is.

The current versions seem to be pretty stable. I guess time will tell which of these meteor scatter modes ultimately survive and which go into the dustbin of history. Right now things seem pretty promising.

The most used MSK144 meteor scatter dial frequency is 50.280 USB. You should hear activity on this frequency especially in the morning hours close to sunrise.

50.260 is still the FSK441 calling frequency although many people have migrated off of it in the last few years. It seems popular to go a few kHz up or down to run schedules or even call CQ although that seems a bit odd.
    Good luck,
    Harry WB3BEL

5. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've made a few 6M MS contacts with 60 watts and a lobey 7 dBi inverted-L - but it's obvously mostly due to the GOOD station with a good antenna on the other end......I will have a yagi up soon and perhaps some power, but until then I stay pretty quiet so as not to interfer with the folks with good setups.

6. N7HYF

N7HYF Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency in 10 meters is callup for MSK144 digital modes,,,guys,,thanks N7HYF

7. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

try 28.140 or 28.180

8. W2ZDP

W2ZDP Ham Member QRZ Page

Is anyone having a problem with the program stopping decoding or no audio out in transmit mode, or do I just have a computer problem. I'm using MSHV for MSK-144 is that different from the WSJT Suite of programs ?

9. KN4JX

KN4JX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Wayne, yes WSJT-X v1.7.0 by K1JT is difrent then MSHV. I use WSJT-X along with JTAlerts 2.8.5 after you set it all up right the two programs work together to let you automatically log into some popular logging programs JTAlerts gives you more information about the hams you are hearing like state, also if they do LoTW, and if you have worked them before... I hope that answered your question. Enjoy! :)

10. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I setup my HF rig to listen to MSK144 on 6M this morning but have been unable to decode anything in the past 3 hours, whereas I see a number of stations on pskreporter.info who are hearing one another. Does anyone know of a good resource for MSK144 operating best-practices, specially 6M? Here's my setup:

Kenwood TS-590S
    G5RV @ 29' AGL (probably the weak point in my setup?)
    Tuned: 6M, USB, 50.282 MHz (I see a number of people on pskreporter.info tuned here).
    Software: WSJT-X 1.7.0, MSK144, 15-second intervals

Why am I hearing nothing? Mainly just a poor antenna for this task?

73, KD0KZE / Paul