MS Office - bye!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W3MMM, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, that stuff. yeah, the files can get pretty huge. You'll be glad its there if things crash and you need to restore to a different machine. Meanwhile all you can do is keep it compressed. Deleting + compression is what I do. Nothing really nefarious there. If you don't want the backup then just delete it.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Better to be "stuck" in T-bird on your machine than on AOL servers... Just sayin'.

NK2U likes this.
  3. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how thunderbird stores the email, they are only marked for deletion when you delete - until you compact the folder then it rebuilds those files.

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing that cracked me up, Was the warning "This document was made with a Unlicensed copy of Microsoft Office, And can not be opened"

Not sure what version that was, But it caused all kind of problems, Going from one computer to another.

Just another game MS played.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using MS Office Pro 2016, standalone. It was under $45.00 online ( no optical media, just the activation ). Why, you ask? Because I had been using Office 2007 until I discovered ( the hard way )- that more modern versions of Word were changing the bullet points in my resume to question marks. Because I also prefer to buy software once, rather than to attempt to 'stop the billing' when I no longer want a subscription. As to PDF files, print & fill the form & scan to resend. Most folks can read .PNG or .BMP files...

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently bought a new Windows 10 laptop. I purchased the permanant one-off licence for Office. M$ seems to be pushing the susbscription version, but I won't bite.

I manage PDF files with Foxit PhantomPDF.

7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's a smart move because for most home--and even small business--users, there's not much in Office that would change so dramatically over, say, five years that it warrants a subscription to keep current with it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    WD4IGX, N0TZU and KP4SX like this.
  8. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just found out to my surprise that LibreOffice version 6.3.4 handles PDF files very well. Not only does it read PDFs but you can edit them too. I deleted all my other PDF readers/editors.

de NK2U

N0NB, N4UP, W1BR and 3 others like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s a very capable office suite, and reads and writes a bunch of formats pretty darn well. I’ve been using it for years, hmmm, six now. One thing that can be hit and miss is filling out a PDF form. It seems like there are a few aspects of that which aren’t yet in the open source and Apple apps which can cause front size issues and a few other oddities.

Most of the time it works, but I had to download a copy of Adobe Reader for the forms that don’t. Which I didn’t like because Abode security isn’t the best.

WF7A likes this.
  10. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth be told, I have not yet tried to edit a pdf but I will soon. Never the less, from what I can tell so far, I am very impressed. I do donate to to the Document Foundation from time to time.

Adobe reader is very bloated and they make you pay to edit.

de NK2U

N0TZU likes this.