MS Office - bye!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W3MMM, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

For me... LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox. Chrome and derivatives are spyware.

Mom was about to pay for office 365. Got her to try LibreOffice and Thunderbird "for a while", 2 years later she's completely happy.

For audio editing, etc, Audacity does what I want. And it somehow is able to sensibly present the obnoxious tangle that is win7/10 and ALSA. sound.

WD9EWK likes this.
  2. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Naturally, as a Debian user I opt for F/OSS whenever possible so it's Libre Office for me, though the last time I went to print QSL cards the later version had the layout all messed up. I installed a more or less static version of OpenOffice 3.4 I have and it brought up and allowed me to print the cards unaltered. I'm not sure about that deal. The nice thing is that the versions don't conflict so I can have both installed simultaneously.

I think I used Google docs one time for a document I wanted to work on from an Android tablet and my usual machines. I usually prefer the stand-alone applications.

3. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use 64 bit version of Libre Offce too. Works very well and is constantly being updated. My only problem is I can't get them to fix the envelope print on my new HP printer. Maybe someday they'll get to fixing that.

de NK2U

N4UP likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be a blessing in disguise.

I messed up my printer printing on envelopes.

Now I just print labels.

5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

got rid of office years ago, went with libreoffice. Hated outlook been using thunderbird
    Use firefox with manual update for the web and chrome to watch a little bit web streaming tv
    Anyone remember Pmail way back

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

For us MacOS users there are freebies with the OS: Pages, Numbers, Mail, and Keynote for MS-Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, respectively. Google's apps are functional as well as Apple's, but they're not standards like Microsoft's are; I know when I create a document in Word that regardless whether the other user has a subscription or not, s/he can open and edit it whereas no such luck with Pages.

I guess it all boils down to use--if you're in the desktop publishing game, like I am, you have to stick to a standard; if you're a casual user then 'whatever works.'

I was surprised to find out that Word Perfect's still around--it created tables far better than Word did, but it's been years since I've used it so I don't know if that's still true or not.

N0TZU likes this.
  7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to use Google Docs but don't forget that there is also MS Office online for free which is a competitor to Google Docs. You get to it from office.com. The apps are "light" versions of the paid apps but probably adequate for a lot of home use. If you prefer Office rather than Google Docs then you might not need to pay for Office 365. Here's a few screenshots from Firefox running on Kubuntu Linux.

Screenshot_20191201_090009.png Screenshot_20191201_090058.png Screenshot_20191201_090247.png

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, for casual use all the MacOS apps are excellent, as is LibreOffice, which is what I tend to use. The MacOS apps will read MS standard file types. They will also export into MS file types, plus PDF and others. The export is only a few extra mouse clicks. I don't have enough experience with them to know how good the export is.

LibreOffice seems to be able to read and write almost any file type pretty well.

MacOS also comes with good photo, video and sound editing apps.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

People that think their Docs and Passwords are secure in the cloud, Have no clue what hackers can do. o_O

The gov pays good money for the best hackers. For mostly a good reason...

10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why the US wants get their hands on Gary McKinnon, he must know a trick or two. I've considered many times giving Libra a try... me still run on candle power Office 2000, plain ol' something that works and not having someone yelling out and telling you what to do like Cortana... sound like a dummy load dunnit?

Only one way to keep prying eyes away is to do your work off-line by not connecting to the internet, it's going to take a lot of 'spying' considering the amount of computers on-line.

Dave

KA9JLM likes this.