MS Office - bye!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W3MMM, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here, except my "ancient version" is Office 95. ;)

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't guarantee the "no updates" on older version of office. I have a purchased copy of Office 2007 that I bought in, well, 2007. Currently I have it on four different computers, three of which are Windows 10. I also have a old system running XP with it installed. I still get updates for it. Right now I have a update waiting around for me to say OK. It is for "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in". That may not be specifically for Office 2007, but I have had Office 2007 updates in the past.

Anyone still have MS Draw around? I have an old SubNote laptop that runs Windows 3.1. On it, I have the full office suite (unknown version), which includes MS Draw. I liked MS Draw much better than what is currently available. It also has a copy of Turbo C. I used it to build a CW Send/Receive program. It requires a hardware filter as a front end, to turn CW tones into 0s and 1s. I built the filter and it works very nice. All that with a 40 MB hard drive.

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an older version of Office on my WIN7 machine... and have no intention of changing it. I've used Office 365 for business, and much, much prefer the older version. As far as Google goes, there is no way I'd let them store my documents given their history of databasing and sharing personal information. Their claim that online storage is more secure has started getting punched through with holes in recent years, too.

I much prefer to keep my own private files where they belong: on my own air-gapped system.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no "cloud." It's just somebody else's computer.

KP4SX, KK4NSF and K8HIT like this.
  5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still running MS Office 2000.

I've run it with Windows 98, XP Pro, and 7Pro. On four different laptops and three desktops.

I've lost count of how many installations and re-installations I've done.

The only problem I've had with Office 2000: the MS Word application doesn't work properly on the XYL's ProBook laptop. But, then, her laptop runs a "generic" replacement version of Win7 Pro.

No "subscription" software or "rent your software" here.

6. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used MS Office for years but got tired of their "needless re-arranging and re-naming of things" ...

So I tried ( free ) Open Office and eventually switched to ( free, even better ) Libre Office. Now I use Libre Office every day with no problems. Handles all MS office formats and then some.

I still sometimes use Microsoft Publisher with no updates, ever.

And I switched from Outlook to ( free ) em Client.

But Libre Office is what I use the most. No more Excel, Word, Powerpoint, or Outlook.

I did not change in any way for financial reasons, but because of the advantages ( to me ) of software other than Microsoft.

KK5JY likes this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have always, always, hated Outlook. I have to use it for work, but at home I use Thunderbird.

I still have some email coming through my ISP's POP server (well it does IMAP too but I use POP because they have a way of deleting old emails so I want it on my own machine and don't really want it synched)... anyway, most of my mail I have migrated to web mail services. I have both Yahoo and Gmail and, in another of my contrarian views, vastly prefer Yahoo. But I dislike the web interfaces on both (I just dislike the one on Gmail way WAY more) so on my home PC I use Thunderbird.

8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting how we all have preferences and prefer different things for different reasons, which methinks is rather a good thing.

I used Thunderbird in between Outlook and eM Client. I loved Thunderbird. My objection was not to Thunderbird, but to Mozilla and Firefox. They kept changing Firefox, so I turned off updates. But even though I had updates turned off, they still checked for updates. I don't like being jerked around. So I switched from Firefox and Thunderbird to Chrome and eM Client.

I recently tried a new Audio Editor, NCH Wavepad. Liked it and was about to buy it, when I discovered they had installed an additional program without my consent which ran at various times on its own, to nag me, not when I opened Wavepad. So I killed it using Glary Utilities and uninstalled Wavepad. Then tried and bought something else, just as good, maybe better. For me, the way software companies treat me is important to me. Some I trust, some I do not. I do not trust Microsoft and I do not use subscription software except Webroot and Glary.

For me aggressive marketing is offensive. As is needlessly changing the look and feel of a program and calling it an upgrade, when it only makes it harder to find things. I guess we all have preferences and gripes.

9. WD4IGX

I don't run Firefox but Waterfox, which is based on the Mozilla core but without the telemetry and some other Firefox annoyances. If you otherwise like Firefox check it out. My Thunderbird asks me if I want to update when one is available.

Don't blame you a bit on the editor. I would have done the same thing.

10. WD4IGX

And oh yes, Microsoft is the champion of, "uh-oh, now everyone knows where everything is, we have to move everything around again for no reason whatsoever." Apple does the same on iOS releases but isn't as bad about it as Microsoft IMHO.