MS Office - bye!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W3MMM, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love using Excel, Word and such. I use them constantly at work.

Recently I switched to their subscription based model at home - sure, i was willing to pay $25 a year or whatever it was. Kinda sucks, but I get it.

Last month my first year ended without apparent warning. My files were accessible but not editable. I tried to renew but, for the life of me, couldn't get it to work.

Turns out that Google docs took it all, converted it, stores it for me and does it all for free.

I tried. I really did. But boy, that was painless (and FWIW, my files are all ham radio tracking things, like contest logs and screenshots of ATNOs on FT8. - nothing of critical value.)

Bye MS Office.

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not *exactly* for free.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

In the world of the Internet, whenever something is "free" you are the product being sold

Dave
    W7UUU

K1XS, KK4NSF, N1EN and 2 others like this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Including me being right here on QRZ seeing all the ads on the left, top, and bottom of the page. I get it, and it's OK!

So long as you understand the bigger picture. I use many of Googles services (Voice, Gmail, Docs, etc.) and it's OK by me.

5. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, there's that. But was MS Office any better, in terms valuing my eyeballs and data? I'm not convinced it was any better.

Side note - This evening, after posting the note above...I opened Excel and and worked again. I don't think there's correlation but...it would be nice if there were a correlation. :)

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

MS Office is probably no better - they charge you and STILL sell your personal information ;)

I use MS Office 365 as a business necessity. My entire corporate biz world lives on 365 - more every month it seems, in fact.

But I actually OWN copies of Office stand-alone - when I retire in a few years, I'll still have all my MS access - just no more updates.

One of my MAJOR uses of Office (outside of work) is Publisher - has been for many years. QSL cards, posters, panel artwork, you name it - I've done it in Publisher. And there is simply no equivalent. Not at the "power user level" that MSP is for me anyway. Trust me I've tried them all... so I'm stuck. I do wish Google would take a stab at aping what MSP does like that did with "Sheets" for "Excel" etc. - but I doubt they will

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using Apache OpenOffice for years now after kicking the MS Office habit. Does everything I need.

8. W7UUU

But they do not have a MS Publisher equivalent.... if that's "major to your needs" it's a problem

But then - I don't have as much MS hate as many folks. I can deal with them.... no worse than Google or Apple or all the rest. Just the world we live in... choose the devil that provides what you actually NEED.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Free, open source Libre Office is what I use now for spreadsheets. All the Apple apps that come with the Mac are pretty good, and a lot of people don’t need to get any other software. But I wanted a little more in plotting and curve fitting than what their Numbers app offered for spreadsheets.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using an ancient version of Office and feel no need to update it. I like how it works better than ones "post ribbon" which I have to use at Work and hate.

I also have Open Office installed and it seems to work well. But I find myself using the old Office 2007 much more often. I mainly use Open Office when someone sends me a file in a format too new for 2007 to open.