ad: M2Ant-1

MRP40 CW Decode and IC-7300

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4LAC, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

sometimes technology cannot beat the human brain.

2. KI4WCQ

KI4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I observed 5 ops spot T30GC last night on 7.022 around 0150 UTC...unfortunately for their log it was actually TO80SP. Use of a code reader can be embarassing.

W4NNF likes this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Before it's over, and very soon you will wish someone would have helped you learn code. The decoding ability of readers in my opinon is to be considered marginal. The sending of a keyboard is perfect, without the human flaws of a paddle or mechanical key. Its basically sterile and being so is tiring to listen to, not to mention a bore. As a touch typest its very EZ but ZERO fun. I have a MFJ452 keyboard I purchased to experiment with and readers in my TS990S and FTDX101d, both fail regarding the decoding of mechanical keys of any sort. They do well decoding a well operated keyer or keyboard generated code. They are highly affected by QSB,QRN,QRM. I have run the reader background along with 100's QSO'S I decode mentally finding them to be unsatisfactory for relying upon, I would NEVER recommend a person attempt a QSO without being able to decode mentally also. In addition you will be absent of enjoying the comarodary of being part of a elite group of Amateur operators not to mention loads of fun. Check out the SKCC site Elmer page for a path to learning. 73 Rich

N4NYK, W2AI, N4GKS and 1 other person like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse is the code; CW is the mode. Know the difference. ;)

W4NNF likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

same thing was happening with T6AA - I was watching the spots for him come in on 20m yesterday afternoon - i can never hear that station but was able to hear this one! -- then I heard TO80SP o_O

I'm guessing these are the same guys who just send their call over an over and over despite the DX obviously calling another station...

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just in a pileup in which my call was miscopied as W1UT. I sent VT VT and he got my call right.

Zak W1VT

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.polar-electric.com/Morse/MRP40-EN/tips.html

8. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

So today I am going to put the CW keyboard on the air....case in point test..... I will only copy with a reader. I will turn down the volume on the rig so I can only copy what comes across the screen, if anything on the FTDX 101d. I will be on 7.060 running 400 watts on a 85' flat top dipole at 1630 UCT and again at 2100 UCT. I will set the keyboard 17 wpm, my typing is rusty I hope I can keep up. Unless the reader copies the code I can not answer I will have the volume to ZERO to mimic a OP who does not know Morse Code. Lets see how I do. I will post results for those who have a interest with a reader/keyboard combo. 73 Rich....... listening, sorta

9. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Grant Connell's (WD6CNF) Ver. 3.7x CW Decoder is excellent. Search engine it...

You may also want to get PuTTY Release 0.70 - a terminal emulator, I use it to see if the code I send is copy-able, but you can also type and have it send your code for you...

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Point to ponder and not directed at anyone here in particular:

Electronic CW decoder - training wheels, tool, or crutch?