ad: AbAuRe-1

Mr. Carlson's Lab : New Electronics Course [Patreon]

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W9GB, Jan 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paul Carlson, VE7ZWZ of Mr. Carlson's Lab has started an Electronics Course on Patreon.

Paul's instructional approach balances a practical appreciation for the fundamentals (physics) without getting lost in the complex math. While not a "hands-on" laboratory course (best method), this video approach can be successful when the "Padawan learner" or Apprentice fully participates in the process (intellectually and emotionally).

N2AMM, KD0CAC and N2EY like this.
  2. WB5THT

WB5THT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've watched all of his videos, he's a sharp guy and a good educator.

KD8OCT likes this.
  3. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Paul's videos are easy to follow, and I always learn something, even from the most basic of his videos. I haven't looked into his class yet, but I certainly will have a look to see if it is the right level.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Paul's videos, sometimes a little too basic but they are great....
    Note to self;
    His lab is not earthquake safe.

KD8OCT and W1BR like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's really great about Mr. Carlson's methods is that he thinks and plans, and most of all understands what he's doing, before he dives in. He doesn't just tear into something, replacing parts willy-nilly and making a mess. He figures out what's going on first.

6. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a lot of quakes in Canada, eh?

But, yes, needs to be sure that is all secured. Do you six-landers mount all your gear to be safe from the Big One?

N2AMM and AF6LJ like this.
  7. W9GB

First Lesson: Switch-Mode Power Supply Repair
    Hundreds of thousands of computer power supplies are thrown in dumpseters ...
    so availability and cost are NOT excuses for learning.

VE3GCX and N2EY like this.
  8. AE7NN

AE7NN Ham Member QRZ Page

How do I contact Mr. Paul Carlson.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W4QO

W4QO Guest

He says "Electronics Course" but is it just a bunch of random videos? I am a Patreon subscriber but all I see are videos for his subscribers. I was expecting an "outline" or something to steer me through the videos in some order. I've spent a half hour looking for "the course". Whare am i going wrong? I've clicked on every button I can find.

11. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

" Electronics Course on Patreon "

12. KI5OOT

KI5OOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Resurrecting this Zombie thread because I recently discovered Paul during Covid and want to bump this due to the continued relevance it has.

We’ve had a lot of new blood enter Radio; so it’s worth posting an update. (Myself included)

As someone who has a fair amount of component-level stick-time on unconventional electronics (analog avionics); I qualify at least as a Novice in this stuff. Problem is, much of the circuit level work I did in the Marine Corps was relegated to tracing known signal path, on rinse-n-repeat FRU’s for 1960’s tech. (Still in the fleet, in the 1990’s)

So, I’m certainly not capable of sitting down with a notepad, and sketching you a powered RF amplifier circuit with 30:1 gain and debating the merits of which FET or Tube to use for that purpose.

Paul’s “course” as he refers to it is more of a “series” of videos whereby he digs into a piece of kit, explains the circuit, and discusses what issues he plans to fix. All while you ride along.

For all of you armchair experts, no, this isn’t a Devry/ITT level “course” as it were.

The Patreon platform is a subscriber type thing where you “pay what you feel it’s worth.” The minimum is $2 a month, from PayPal or a Credit Card.

This gets you exclusive access to things that aren’t in the videos such as:
    *Paul’s personal schematics
    *Plans and pick-lists so you can copy his home brew probes and test gear
    *Detailed notes on how to do things
    *Additional HiDef photos
    *Access to him personally so you can ask questions, seek help, and receive guidance on your own restoration or repair projects.

I mean, for $5-$10 a month even, it would be worth it just for access to his hand written notes and schematics.

He’s basically a 26-volume Chilton’s manual for Electronics; and in particular he seems remarkably well versed in RF and AC/DC.

The target audience “I think” it’s for:

Do you have a piece of gear with a weird issue, that’s partially working but you just don’t know where to start ?

Are you worried to take something to a tech for fear it will sit forever undiagnosed or cost an arm and a leg for a rookie to parts-swap it into submission ?

Do you know the basics of what a resistor, capacitor and relay does; but not necessarily how they combine to make a useful circuit ?

Are you mesmerized by someone who can take a pencil and paper and scribble up a quick and dirty timer-circuit and explain why each component value was selected ?

Do you want to sit down with an old HeathKit or broken Ameritron you picked up at the sidewalk sale, and work out the issues ?

Do you see stuff at garage sales and swap meets and think “man that’s clean, I could make a killing flipping this stuff after a few repairs” ?

Do you know your limitations, and just want to better understand how to identify a problem ; so you know what kind of tech to take your gear to for repair ?

I think all of those apply equally, and while I’m certainly no expert, I have found the content to be very approachable for the novice/journeyman, (not beginner).

If YOU ARE a working tech or an engineer, and simply want to fill in the gaps between your troubleshooting logic and technique for finding hard to trace faults: Paul is a fantastic treasure trove of historical facts about devices, old obsolete circuits, and sometimes will drop tips about where to locate hard to source parts, IC’s and will occasionally offer tips on how to work around limitations in existing products.

I wish I had access to an “Uncle Paul” who I could show something to; and hear “I see this a lot...”. . .

(His videos on HiFi amplifier cleanup was amazing, and the hum reducing technique he used on the 6-packs was put to use immediately). I’m already planning my setup on how to etch simple circuit boards with the Toner Transfer method, and while it’s not necessarily a practical skill, it’s something that I want to know how to do.

FULL DISCLOSURE
    I’m neither sponsored nor affiliated with the channel. Frankly, I thought “Mr. Carlson” was a pseudonym he was using as an homage to “WKRP” so I’m not even convinced that’s his name ;P

I just wanted to refresh this thread for folks who may be really new and want to learn how to safely tinker, and just need a virtual mentor, For $2-$10 a month, you could do far worse. (Patreon cost)

The YouTube series’ are of course, free.

KI5OOT
    Brad

N3JLR and W8BT like this.
  13. W8BT

W8BT Ham Member QRZ Page

6 years ago, I got my license and found Paul when trying to fix the ATU in my IC-756. I've been watching him ever since.

14. W9GB

Paul Carlson, VE7ZWZ
    ==
    Hands On High School Electronics (and Shop/Vocational) funding disappeared with Reagan Administration. Some states moved this to Community Colleges in 1980s — BUT those programs either closed by 1995 or migrated to Computer Programming coursework — American business ended component-level repair centers (throw-away electronics).
    Electronics Manufacturing left the USA during the 1990s, with opening of China and reunification of Germany.

I watched Triton College in Cook country (IL) sell their entire Electronics Lab equipment in 1996.
    ==
    The Key to Learn Electronics and the “Art of Radio” … is to Break the “Memorize Answers” mentality and have the Passion for the Subject.
    A high school STEM foundation “pays dividends” every year as technology advances.

Hands On “Tactical” Learning (as a Padawan or Apprentice) from Elmers or Masters is
    RARE in 21st century. Video presentations (YouTube) has replaced, BUT some presenters are just there for the Subscribers and $$.

There are a few YouTube video presenters that I Cringe to watch —
    due to their Bad Bench Skills and Hacked Repairs. One poor guy could not Solder Properly.
    Those seem to play well to the old-CB era crowd.
    There was one YouTube video, where the presenter was so frustrated with a Router (firmware upgrade) that he used it for Gun Target Practice after he “Bricked It” (YouTube removed that video).

N3JLR likes this.