Moving - NO ANTENNAS ALLOWED - Help

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4AHS, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

K4KWH

Cheers, my friend have a good day.

No Offense Taken.

de 73's

Archie
    W7ACT

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. N7GFK

N7GFK Ham Member QRZ Page

In gated communities, I wonder if you could feed the gates themselves with rf for a decent antenna?

3. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can have HF antennas with a Technician license, and there is no prohibition to using them. TO RECEIVE ONLY. TRANSMIT without the proper privileges on HF with a Technician license, and then there is a problem. Unless, as my fellow Tech pointed out, one is a MARS operator and uses MARS frequencies.

A new Tech can learn a lot about proper and improper operation strictly by LISTENING on HF.  [​IMG]

4. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, big guy, the man just asked a simple question, you didn't have to bite his head off! Ever read the Amateur's Code? Now if he was a butthead who made derogatory statements about Technicians illegally using HF and accusing you of those actions, I could understand your anger. But that wasn't how the question was phrased at all!

BTW, that is a MOOT subject, not MUTE subject. MOOT means no longer matters. MUTE means to silence. But you knew that, right?  [​IMG]

5. AD5ND

AD5ND Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a wire antenna. Its almost invisible, but will fall down every so often,when trees are involved, so don't put it where it can cause a disaster. A dipole works better than an end feed antenna, because it doesn't need a counterpoise. If you have a tuner  don't worry about length, just try to keep it symmetrical, and make it as long as possible, and as high as practical. A full wave loop is great even if at a low height. You will need some 16 or 18 GA wire, a lot of nylon string, and a small weight to trow it over the tree. Don't forget to allow for the tree's to sway in the wind, You cant stop a tree with 18 GA wire. AND Don't bother the neighbors !!!!! I apologize for the behavior and language of my fellow amateur radio operators. See ya on 75 meters or 80 meters HI HI. 73 de AD5ND

6. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

"Moot" is a rather strange word. From Webster's: "moot - 1. a. open to question, b. subjected to discussion"

If it is "open to question" and "subjected to discussion", how can it possibly "no longer matter"? Ain't English great?

7. W7ACT

KI4PEQ

I realize I came off a little bit strong, but damn I'm sick of all this bickering over the code/no code issue and some of the I'm Holy Than You Attitudes because I had to Pass Code or I don't have to Pass Code. It's getting kind of old all of the animosities on both sides of question.

After hearing all of the back biting going on I took exception to the gentleman's remark. It was wrong of me to reply in the way I did.

8. W8EFA

W8EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

No Problem - as PEQ ascertained, I was just curious. I really don't care about the no code people. Personally I love CW and think people that don't try it are missing out, but each to his own.

As I mentioned earlier I have worked quite a few countries with 100 watts, wire antennas, and CW. I could not bust pileups very often with my modest set-up with SSB. With CW and proper timing - anything is possible.

9. W7ACT

W8EFA

I do the Field day thing every year with our local Ham Radio Club and one of my greatest pleasures is doing the logging for Jack West W7LD on 40 mtrs CW every year for the last ten years, so yes I am familiar with CW and I have taken CW Classes from Jack and have tried to learn CW using both code tapes any number of code programs, but for the life of me I just can't seem to pick it up I know all the letters in the alphabet in code, but after working for years as a chief cooking with live steam and more years driving over the road with unmuffled jakebrakes I am tone deaf so when someone sends code it all runs together. Therefore the FCC's new ruling is a god send for me and others with the same hearing problems, maybe it doesn't occur to others there are individuals who have disabilities which won't allow them to learn code.

10. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a couple of people posted on the wrong thread by accident.

The code/no code thread is down to the end of the hall, take the flight of stairs down to the next floor, go half way down that hall, go down the stairs you see there, go left until you are just about to the end of the hall, turn left down that hall and take another flight of stairs down, go straight and it's the 6th door down on the left. You can't miss it. Just keep going in the direction of the horrible smell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.