Mounting VHF bass antenna on the side of a tower.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by ZS6US, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. ZS6US

ZS6US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all

I want to put a bracket on the side of my tower to mount something like a Comet GP-6 or Diamond X500, how far should a antenna like this be away from the tower to minimize interference from the tower, a wave length or more? Or will I waste my time installing a antenna like this next to a big chunk of steel, must it actually be clear of most things to radiate properly?
    I can't put it right at the top hence the side mount, I have a hex beam which goes right at the top, this might change in future when I get a nice big triband yagi to replace the hex beam.

I currently have a Comet GP-1 which I use as my general repeater and simplex antenna, but I'll be moving out of the city much further from the closest repeaters, so I'll need a bit more punch. I do have horizontal VHF and UHF yagi's for working long distance, but at this stage I don't want to get another yagi just for vertical work.

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

36" or so may give you a somewhat cardoid pattern.

Ed

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

ZS6US likes this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

For minimum interaction and pattern shift, I would mount a VHF ant about one wavelength from an existing metal tower leg/

ZS6US likes this.