Mounting ham gear on car dash etc.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE5WWX, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worry about that too for my Nav units, so I take them off and store them after each use. They are designed to be windshield mounted, but it gets painfully hot there. It did ruin a radar detector I had mounted there.

2. W1ADE

W1ADE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if they're still made, but I dig the overhead console add-on device--usually only suitable to pickups and vans. I used to use rivits to mount to the endless plastic in Ram 2500's. Hit a stump in the woods (with the front diff at 2.4mph) and my 17# dog flew off the armrest and broke the mounting points of that install. Took out the "sharkmouth" thing in a 6-speed truck (autos have fold out cupholders) and built a bracket that once held a 2 vhf/uhf and the control unit of my 900.

I'm going back in that direction--but maybe with some overhead something--which is where I always mount my speakers.

to be really really safe, one should pull the airbag fuses, install a 5-point harness, roll bar, wear a hans device, helmet, and mouth guard--and mount all equipment on the hood.

or buy a retired cop car--will have plenty of dept. approved mounting points and even holes for aerials. plus they have cop motors, cop tires, cop shocks...(aykroyd to belushi-remember?)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an ALS600 in my Ford truck. I'm planning on an ALS1300.

I have a modified 4000 watt inverter supply that runs 50 volts and -12 volts.

The ALS600 is a great mobile amp. I did not use the remote model. I mounted mine tilted up from the floor, with my rig bolted on top of it.

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out LIDO Mounts for possible mounting options.

On the other hand, I have to ask why are you putting the ALS600 in your car? For mobile HF operation, 100 watts is more than enough. I have worked the world with only 100 watts in the mobile with an autotuner and a hamstick.

Sure, 600watts will make for a nice signal, but 100 watts does the job and besides, 600 watts will bath you in RF including the electronics in your car which may not like it too much.

K2WH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.