ad: Amateur-1

Mounting ham gear on car dash etc.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE5WWX, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KE5WWX

KE5WWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am trying to figure out how to mount my ALS-600 remote and also my Ameritron watt meter on the dash without making it permanent. The double sided foam tape does not stick too my dash after I removed all protective coatings. Anybody have any ideas or know of any items like 3m foam tape or somekind of tape that does not leave a big mess If I have to take it off. My worst case senerio is to use velcro.

Thanks

2. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I would think that on the dashboard would be one of the least desireable places to mount any kind of radio equipment. Three reasons.

It would obstruct your view

It would get very hot from the Sun's rays shining directly on the stuff.

It would invite theft. Who could resist a bunch of electronic devices sitting right up there in plain sight, and obviously not held down by much?

I wouldn't do it that way !

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition, a sudden stop often changes the item into an injury producing projectile!

Glen, K9STH

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if it will work for you, but I use two bean bag mounts for the control heads for my mobile rigs. The kind with fabric loops and a hook you can mount to prevent them from flying should work for most reasonable items. Only one of mine has that feature, and the other one has slid off the dash one time in a very sharp turn when I didn't have it far enough back on the dash. Otherwise, they never move. If you got hit very hard from behind, it could be a problem, though.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why the dashboard? And why temporary?

Temporary stuff that weighs more than a feather scares the daylights out of me for mobile work, unless all the work is always done while parked and never driving.

I've already seen what a simple microphone can do in a collision, when it goes flying and -- oops -- ends up hitting someone in the head. Mass x velocity is a powerful formula in a high speed collision, which no one ever intends to have, but happens all the time.

If the stuff you're discussing is made of metal and has any corners, I would never dream of mounting any of it temporarily, using anything. I'd drill holes, use screws, and make them secure enough that if I hit them with a hammer from the side, they won't move. Then, I'd drive.:)

6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can only tell you that it is very unsafe plus all reasons listed above seek another location there are many other options.

7. KC8ADU

KC8ADU Ham Member QRZ Page

imagine a big ugly like me attaching the gear to my fist and delivering a facebreaker punch to you.
    thats what will happen when the airbags go off.
    these newer cars have airbags all over the interior.
    i wonder how many er cases come from dash mounted crap like phones,ipods,and ham gear being launched into ones face in a crash.

8. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

one more voice for the "it ain't safe" chorus

9. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

depends on the vehicle. if you have an ash tray in the center, console area, go to a junk yard, buy the same ash tray, drill holes and mount the radio. when yousellthe car put the original ash tray back.
    same with some of the flip down covers for cubby holes like my olds mini van.
    Ialso have small picketsinthe dash for cell phone of calculator, etc.
    I made a shove in mount of a shaved piece of 2x4 as the plug and cross piece of 2x4 to mount the head for my ICOM 2720.
    shave the plug for a snug fit in the cubby hole.
    make a floor mount box and use wood screws to screw right into the carpet.

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you must consider the airbags - never put anything anywhere near one. If you don't know where they are, DON'T. The airbags are a big enough hazard by themselves, without anything else involved!

When I see Garmin being sued over their beanbag mounts, I will stop using them.
    They are legal in Minnesota, whereas other schemes are not. But, you guys are right - anything on the dashboard is a hazard. I'm actually more paranoid than most about anything loose behind the front seat, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.