ad: Alphaant-1

Mounting advice needed

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K2MWC, Feb 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2MWC

K2MWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking to put up a 2 element Mosley Mini and need your advice. I'm thinking I can mount 12" Rohn wall mounts above and under the vent with 1/4x3" lag screws. Would this be a good place or do you see a better option?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

AK5B likes this.
  3. K2MWC

Yes I have seen this before , is it stronger due to the mounting bracket itself or where it's being mounted ?

4. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Both.

The Rohn brackets look like they might bend from wind forces on the antenna. And mounting through a wall is not as strong as lag bolts into the eaves, which are usually 2 x 6 or larger.

5. K2MWC

Sounds good to me I will order these now.

Thanks for your help 73

W9FL likes this.
  6. K2MWC

Mounting here would be so much easier due to it being over my garage, should I be concerned about the power line thats off to the side?

Attached Files:

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That wouldn't concern me a bit.

However, I wouldn't trust a "soffit" to support anything. That's "trim work" and has no strength.

If you "wall mount" brackets, go through the siding and into solid 2x4 studs behind the siding.

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You MUST mount your antenna in such a manner so that it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to fall onto the power line, or for the line to fall on it.

There is NEVER EVER a exception to this rule.

Type "man electrocuted when antenna touches power line" into your search engine for all the gore you care for.

Rege

AK5B likes this.
  9. K2MWC

Seems like a toss up between mounting preference some say wall mount others say eave mount...how do you know if your're in a stud with the wall mount ? I have both mounts

10. K2MWC

I get it no need to search...better safe then sorry

AK5B and AI3V like this.