mounting a radio in a dodge ram 2002

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W4WOP, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4WOP

W4WOP Ham Member QRZ Page

i have a 2002 dodge ram quad cab. i am getting the icom 2720h rig and want to mount it in the truck. Of course it has the detachable face plate. Where can i mount the face plate on the dash or the whole radio. THe dash has alot of curves. My speaker phone for my cell phone has a bracket that was installed behind the dash, do they make radio brackets like that as well.

please advise
    OH and your thoughts on the icom 2720h

2. AC9YQ

AC9YQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is your truck the new body style or old?  If it is the old style I have made a mount for mine that goes between the front two seats and sets the radio in front of the middle fold down seat.
    I can try to get a picture to you or can search one of these site for the name Brolin. That user made the mount commercially and I just copied his design.

www.turbodieselregister.com

www.dieseltruckresource.com

Both of these sites have a lot of good information on the old body style.  They probably have information on the newer model as well, however, I don't visit those particular sections.

3. KD7RHO

KD7RHO Ham Member QRZ Page

In my 2001 Ram I mounted the radio to the large fold down for the drink holder. When it's down you wouldn't know there is a radio there unless you look. Keeps prying eyes confused. Also very easy to flip up for direct access to radio.
    Hope this helps.

Ed KD7RHO [​IMG]

4. W4WOP

W4WOP Ham Member QRZ Page

that is very smart..but is the radio not to heavy that will it break the drink holder...just curious...

5. W1ADE

W1ADE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the slow process of fabricating a mount for my Y2K Ram.

It makes a big difference if it is manual or auto. I have the six-speed and removed the large (useless) hole-thingy where the auto truck has the pull-down drink holder. I have almost completed a mount to fill that space which holds the control head of my FT-900, and two other full radios.

I welded up an open ended steel box for the radios. The 900 controller attaches to a tab-type bracket.

I'll have photos when I get done with the radio mounting--then to mount a big screwdriver.

If your truck is Cummins powered you MUST visit turbodieselregister. I'm known as WadePatton on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.