ad: ProAudio-1

Mounting 2m/70cm antenna of fiberglass RV Roof

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5UMH, Dec 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG5UMH

KG5UMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Roof of my RV is fiberglass (filon). I want to mount a 2m/70cm antenna on it. My idea is to use 23"x 24" piece of thin aluminum, and put a 1" riser in the center of that. To the riser I would attach a Larsen 2/70NMOSS 19" antenna. The cable would run into the front "cap" of the RV to the radio. The sheet aluminum would be attached with some SS 1/2" sheet metal screws along the edges. The screw and the edges would then be covered with a polyurethane self levelling lap sealant. The riser would be attached to the aluminum sheet prior to installation with rivets. Feed line would probably be just RG58. I would think that this would be a sufficient ground plane for the antenna. Cannot get to the underside of the roof without significant damage to the interior. - Anyone done something similar?
    TIA - Michael

2. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

We need more information, or maybe even a picture of the area.
    On my fiber glass RV, I made 3 brackets for the back of the awning and change out mounts as the needs change and also use a 2 inch hitch mount on the back at camp sites . Only permanent line runs down the refrigerator stack to the AM/FM radio. I also used this route on my fifth wheel. Be sure that the holes are air tight when you pass into the living space. The coax is not yet installed in the picture.
    antenna mounts 3.jpg

3. KG5UMH

OK. Want to mount the 2m/70cm for on the road mobile use. For stationary use there will be some other antenna. I have attached a picture looking to the front of the motor home. In the fore- ground is the OTA TV antenna, then a dome satellite dish (now replaced with a Winegard Traveler) and then the AM/FM antenna. On the left in the front (top) of the photo is the Sirius Radio antenna. The mounting plate would go somewhere in that area. It will probably overlap the seam between the roof and the cap. There is another RV in front of mine in the picture. What other information is needed?
    IMG_1698_a.JPG

4. N2JDK

N2JDK Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran a low loss coax under the rv and up the side of the ladder, where I mounted my dual band antenna. I didn't like the idea of making a hole in the roof, and a "thru the glass" antenna didn't work so great.
    Hoyt n2jdk

5. KG5UMH

Not fond of putting "big" holes in the roof.... In the foreground is "The Jack" OTA TV antenna that replaced a crank-up batwing. The mounting plate has a row of screws around it to hold it on the roof. Number 6 or 8 about 1/2 inch long. Under that mount is butyl rubber strip and then the screws and the edge of the plate are covered with Dicor self leveling sealant. No leaks yet (knock on wood). The Traveler Satellite dish (that replaced the dome in this picture) uses the same attachment technique. I am saving the ladder to mount the screwdriver antenna - probably an Alpine.